Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A Berry Good Tip

Hi All, I just tried a wonderful (hopefully) tip that one of my sweet friends passed on to me last week. I emailed this to alot of people and today was blessed with two quarts of strawberries to try it on. This is the "tip":

When you buy or pick fresh berries- mix apple cider vinegar and water in a 1 to 10 part ratio (I only had a few berries today, so I used 1/4 c. vinegar to 2 1/2 c. water). Mix the vinegar and water in a large bowl. Dunk the berries in, either while in the strainer or just dump them in (easier if in a strainer). Submerse them and swish around. The vinegar in the water is supposed to kill any mold spores. I let the strainer drain for a while, then turned them all out on a paper towel to get as much water off as possible. I then wiped out the original plastic berry boxes and put a piece of napkin down in the bottom (but didn't cover the little side holes). I placed the berries back in and I hope it truly keeps these beautiful strawberries from molding. I don't know about you, but it's discouraging to get them home and within two days have mold all over the ones underneath. You don't need to rinse the berries afterwards because (this article claimed) that you do not taste the vinegar at all.

I'm going to be excited if this works, as we're big berry lovers and hate to see them go to waste! I know, too that vinegar rinses are important to get pesticides off commercial fruit. This may aid in that also.

This wasn't taken just yesterday, obviously; and these are not strawberries, but I loved this picture of our little great-niece, Beth, and her great Grammy, gathering apples for the squeezing.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tip. You are right that is an adorable picture of Beth with her Grammie. :) The T's have been on my mind a lot lately. I should be praying for them more.

    ReplyDelete