Monday, April 16, 2012

Grace for the Hour

What a blessed weekend we had here on Darling Hill! The weather is so Spring-like, almost 50 degrees yesterday morning and 55 degrees this morning! After church yesterday afternoon Syd and I took the dogs for a walk up to the top of the hill, meeting Mom on our way (as she was gathering sticks, "cleaning up" her woods). We all walked up for a sit on the deck. Syd pointed out the poplars just starting to show their pale greens across the expanse in our view. We all agreed that this was sure one of our favorite time of year, when things were all warming up and bursting forth.

We were blessed with a wonderful Lord's day with the church family too. Good, convicting preaching, singing, and happy fellowship.

This morning I am reading from the book of Acts. What would we do without the preserved Word of God? I am so thankful for the example left us by the faith of the early church and apostles. The account today was from Acts 4, following the healing of the impotent man. I was so blessed by Peter's response to being taken into custody and standing before the Sanhedrin, "Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them...Neither is there salvation in any other; for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." What a different response it would have been had he not been controlled by the Holy Spirit, but by his own strength!  I am so glad that God gives grace to those who are going through hard trials (and easy trials as well).

As we now live in a "post-Christian" nation, we have come full-circle. No longer do the majority of the people have a respect for God, as was most often the case in the early part of the last century. Even our United States has now come back to the place where most people are doing only "that which is right in their own eyes".

Dear Lord, only you know what trials we Christians will be privileged to endure in the coming days. Thank you that at that time, you will give Spirit-filled believers the grace to give the answer that exalts you alone!




On a side-note: Today is my 5-0 birthday. Syd pulled off a tremendous surprise birthday party for me on Saturday. Many of you who visit "the Hill" regularly were there - and I THANK YOU for coming. What a nice time. I was shocked and we had 76 people there. Many of you reading this had ALOT to do with this party and I thank you so much for all the help you were and for the food you prepared and brought.  You must see the cakes Syd made. I stay up with Mom on Thurs-Sat. nights, so as soon as I left on Thurs. and Friday nights last week, Syd was in the truck and down at the church preparing things - cakes for instance. Here are his chocolate raspberry truffle and Boston creme cakes. They were each 12X18" (the angle makes it look like the chocolate was smaller, but it wasn't) and all but 5 pieces were eaten! I think they're beautiful and delicious too.


I won't show a lot of pictures, just a few at the end. Two of the girls who came were from my home town and high school. One I had not seen since 1980 and the other not since 1986! What a surprise! I have lots of thank you notes to send. 

Thankfulness is something that God has been bringing to my attention and teaching me to get into my heart. To think, that "God thinks of me" is an amazing thing; and that others would take the time to come to an event like this is such a blessing to my heart too. Apart from all the spiritual blessings we possess, we have so much to be thankful for on this earthly plain too. 

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful." Col. 3:15

Just a few more  pictures:
 my hometown girls...Doreen is not pictured (she was too busy taking pictures). She was there and is ALWAYS there for me. Wish I had her picture. Maybe someone did get one. I'm still having pictures emailed to me.
Yes, I am seated in a wheelchair!

Okay, only one more...

This afternoon I hope to go up to my brother's cabin and climb the rope. I do this every year, to be sure I still can! I had to wait until it was the "official" day, so will try it later this afternoon or tomorrow. I'll let you know!

Thanks for stopping by. Have a wonderful day.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday from all of us!!!:) If we could have made it yesterday there could have been a few of you picking out of the can together. :) Lydia and Silas would have been soooo happy to share that event with you. :) Hope the rope climbing goes well. I could not even have done that in my early years.

    ReplyDelete