Friday, March 8, 2013

The Still Small Voice

The mountains are covered in a new dusting of snow this morning. How beautiful to come to the mountain top. These weeks we've been at the mountain top with our God also. One doesn't always have to leave their house to go to a revival with the Lord. While God has reminded me and taught me things about myself through the Word, my heart keeps saying, "Lord, don't let these things filter out and leave. Please teach me and let me meditate on them that they will stay forever settled there." 

As Elijah, after his mountain-top experience, we all find ourselves back down in the dull, everyday experiences of life. This is where we live, after all. Out of I Kings 19 this morning I read about God coming to a discouraged Elijah, "what doest thou here, Elijah".  He told him to go up to the mountaintop and showed him that great wind, the mighty earthquake and the consuming fire. He was not in those, this time. God was in the 'still small voice', where he asked the question of Elijah again. As Elijah arose and listened, God told him what to do next and that He had a remnant who had not bowed the knee to idols.

I'm so glad that the Lord knows just what I need at every moment. I want to listen to His still small voice today and every day, don't you? depending on His settled Word, which is quick and powerful and sharper than a two-edged sword. It is His words that are there for us to listen to and to live by, moment by moment.

"Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord." Col. 3:16 

No comments:

Post a Comment