Monday, June 1, 2015

Giving Thanks

“In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” I Thess. 5:18

This morning I start a job that I had not sought, but one that is obvious that the Lord wants me to do. It involves moving from my "beloved" (my favorite, at least) Post office to one 7 miles away. We have prayed for the Lord's will, and not our own, to be done. He has made the answer clear and now it is time to continue to thank Him for answer to prayer... to thank Him this morning, and to continue to thank Him throughout the days and weeks ahead. He reminded me today, through time in the Scriptures, that through thanksgiving is the only way that I can be used in the place where He has put me. It is amazing how many reminders we need, over and over; and how easily we forget the lessons that we thought He had taught us!

This morning God led me to the Mountain View Bible Church website, after visiting it last evening. When it was time to listen to a morning message, God seemed to lead me back there. Pastor Pelletier was preaching on contentment, from Philippians 4. He had asked his mother to open the service by giving a short testimony. Many years ago, when the children were young, her husband had committed suicide. She shared that one morning as she sat on her bed she quoted the above verse; one which her husband had shared with her only weeks previous, after attending a Christian seminar. As she sat there she prayed, "Lord, I thank you for this situation. I don't like it, but I thank you for it." I thank the Lord for her testimony, through such sad and adverse circumstances. What a loving, great and personal God we serve!

I know that (as well as the rest of the message Pastor Pelletier preached) this is one thing that the Lord wanted me to hear today. I hope that if you are experiencing a situation that is difficult, distasteful or simply trying on your patience today, that God will give you the grace to give thanks for even that very thing. He promises to bless obedient children. Christians have a loving Father and the power of God's Spirit gives us strength to obey.

Step by step, step by step, I will follow Jesus; all the day, all the way, keeping step with Jesus.

I hope that you all have a wonderful day. It is a rainy one here. How green and lush everything is. This rain does remind me to pray for the people out in Texas who are underwater and in dire circumstances today.

Thank you for stopping by the Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment