Thursday, July 18, 2013

Simply Home Things

We visited a country store a few weekends ago. This little log cabin incense burner reminds me of my childhood. My uncle had one at their house. It is at their home where my family spent many Saturday nights and where we spent almost every first-day-of-hunting. Occasionally Aunt Jean would light the little balsam incense and I would watch the smoke waft from the chimney.  I can smell the balsam scent even now as I think and talk about it. I was happy to find one and rekindle those happy memories from my young life.


This little bear was made by our friend, Hannah. Isn't he so cute? He's made of burdock, which is such fun to work with. Hannah made many animals on Sunday afternoon. I was happy to get this little guy. Of course, I had a few rocks on the counter (after filling my most recent name-rock order, last post), so Bear had to be seated atop them.


A funny story about one other burdock creation...Mom and I made an owl a couple years ago. I had put a picture of it on the blog. It was quite life-sized and was perched in a tree near the road. Here he is:


He looked very real until one day, on our way to church, Mom and I were driving by and spotted Owly hanging upside down from his branch! A bad idea: Reaching up above your head to fix any burdock figure. I made this mistake and flipped Mr Owl upright, forgetting how many little burrs would come down around my neck and into my blouse! I squeezed his feet back onto the limb...then picked tiny prickles from my neck and hair (and stomach!) for the rest of the day.

What could be homier than a couple of cuddling puppies. Mom's been coming down for dinner here lately. Photos from a quiet evening in the cabin.

Sturm and Coco (she's been with us for a week)



This morning our neighbor across the road called. She was warning of a bear that just passed through her back yard. Ruger's been out all morning, with his nose in the air, but thankfully has not strayed further than our driveway.

Well, it's back to painting names on rocks, as I have another order to fill. The simple home things are wonderful, aren't they? It's these little things that make our house a home. Those of us who are believers in the Lord Jesus Christ have so much more to look forward to in our Heavenly home. It won't be these simple, earthly pleasures though. It sounds so different, reading this passage from the Old Testament book of Isaiah, as I am so used to reading it from I Corinthians.

"For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside thee, what He hath prepared for him that waiteth for Him." Isaiah 64:4

One day these old "home things" will be gone forever and born again believers will be with our Father in Heaven! -for all of eternity!  Thanks for stopping by our earthly home this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment