Thursday, November 3, 2011

Cold Air

It is almost "that time of year" again.  We all say it, knowing exactly what each is talking about. The Winter is
a wonderful time of severity tempered with pure beauty!  The whiteness of the snowfield is brighter than almost anything we can comprehend.  I suppose that is why the Bible speaks of being washed "whiter than snow", using its whiteness to describe godly purity. I must admit that a bright blue sky coupled with below zero temperatures awakens something in me that lies dormant the other 350 days of the year.  I truly look forward to these (give or take) 15 days when the extremely cold air freezes onto the inside of my nostrils!  It is what prompted the writing of this very short work of poetry last Winter.

It's almost that time of year again; let's all get ready!

Cold Air

It swirls 'round my crown
like steam from a mug.
The frost forms around my cheeks.

Thick billows; puff, puff
as I trudge up the lane
through the fluffy white stuff
 and deep.

Ice clings to my scarf
and the crystals stick fast
to my lips and my hair;
Cold air

2 comments:

  1. I got the chills just reading that poem! What a picture! I can wait!
    It is the 20' below temperatures
    weeks on end that I do not look forward to here in the Big Sky country!!!! ~ME~

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is not how your hill looks now, is it???

    ReplyDelete