Thursday, June 28, 2012

Do I Love?

Today I was reminded of God's exhaustless patience with me. I am sure you are so thankful for this, as I am! I was reading from Matthew 16:13-28 "If any man will come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."  He said that those who do so, must "lose" their life. Powerful, well-meaning  Peter balked at Jesus' declaration of His going to the cross to lay His life down and yet when Jesus was taken from the garden, Peter "followed afar off" -- but, he followed while others left. After the dismal failure and denial, Jesus gave Peter another chance (He knows us and loves us unendingly, doesn't He?). Our Lord had fulfilled his cross work and had risen from the dead when He asked Peter, "Lovest thou me?" (this in John 21:15-19). He finished with "feed my sheep". The meaning had not changed, Peter was to follow Jesus, lay down his life for Him. It would mean a denial of self, even unto Peter's death.

This "follow me" boils down to love. "Do you love?". This love draws us after, even though the path be rough and broken. The Master's great love and patience with us teaches us to truly love. We love Him because He first loved us. I ask myself, what is the picture of my path?

Oh, may this be true of me: "I love thee, Lord Jesus, with all of my heart; for dying on Calvary, for giving me victory; I love thee, Lord Jesus, with all of my heart."

"In the noise and din of the street of modern life comes as of old the quiet, clear, insistent call "follow me".
~ S. D. Gordon


A view of sunrise from Darling Hill
As a child of God there is nothing I can do to make God love me any more; and nothing I do will make Him love me any less. I am glad that the Lord's love is exhaustless and that He never gives up on me. I cannot fully understand this kind of love but the Bible says that nothing can separate me from it!! What a praise!

1 comment:

  1. I did not think I would be able to visit the hill till Tuesday but little Leah has been "starving" today :).
    That is funny that your sunrise looks so similar to the sunset that we had while in NY!
    I can't wait to see the finished cabin! It sounds neat :)! Being a carpenter's wife :) I love to see projects :).
    I am always blessed when stopping here and today was no different. Thinking on the love of Christ brings so much joy and thankfulness.
    It was so nice to see you again! We praising the Lord for Mr. V being pain free!!!
    Have a wonderful week with all the relatives!!! Tell them we said, "Hi"!

    ReplyDelete