Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Warm Thoughts on a Cold Day

Hello friends, As you can see I changed the format again - back to a more "normal" one. It's not exactly a winter scene but the colors are warm and might help to chase away the chill around us, reminding us of the days when we can walk through the fields of grass, pluck a piece of timothy and chew its end, extracting the soft flesh and juice from within. I look forward to timothy grass and clover nectar again. We barely have snow on our ground right now and yesterday I saw a small flock of robins fly in front of me. I'd like to think this means Spring, but they likely are a group of procrastinators, enjoying the first of the feeders being put back out on folk's porches!  Whatever the winter brings we will "rejoice and be glad in it".  

I have had more people come into the post office talking about "climate change". Do they not watch the news and the weather stats?  In 1996, last weekend, it was in the fifties.  And in 1958 (I think) we had very warm temps on that same weekend.  How short our memories are.  Our earth goes in cycles and the Lord has His hand on the whole thing.

This post will not be a long one but I wanted to keep in touch with everyone while I sit and sip my morning coffee.  Syd is off to work, lunch prep stuff put away and things are quiet in the house except for two dogs wrestling behind me. Oh the noises they make; growling and "snuffing" and an occasional "yip" from Ruger when Sturm bites his ear or lip too hard.  At twelve pounds, Sturm likes to think he's the boss but when it comes right down to it, not so. The other night the little one got out and took off down the road. Syd said, "Ruger, go get Sturm". He went down to him, barked a few times, turned and ran toward the house and Sturm was right on his heels - and through the door they came!

So, I am enjoying this quiet morning and getting ready to read for a while. The Spirit has been leading me and teaching me more about love toward Him. Yesterday I began thinking about how easy it is to get "caught up" in the technicalities of our salvation. By this I simply mean, the FACT that we've asked the Lord to save us, therefore He has; and the obligation we have toward Him because we are His children. There's nothing at all wrong with these things, but sometimes I wonder if they overshadow the fact of my need of being thankful for WHAT I've been forgiven of.  I received forgiveness for all my sin! - every sin I had done and every sin I will ever commit. It is so easy to get the cart before the horse in our christian lives. In the past I've gone about, doing good deeds and trying to be a good witness, dutifully reading my Bible and listening to good music. These are wonderful things, but I have caught myself focusing on the "legal" part of my salvation but forgetting to dwell on the "love" part. Perhaps others have not struggled with this, but I have, and I'm so thankful that the Lord is leading my heart through these scriptures that are helping me get my mind turned back to focusing on loving him, and not so much on my service and self. John 7:37, 38 say, "If any man thirst, let him come unto me and drink...out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water." The following verse says that this is speaking about the "Spirit". The Holy Spirit will pour out of us when we thirst for and "drink" of the Lord. Like the woman who washed the Lord Jesus' feet with her tears and wiped them with the hairs of her head; I want to remember how much I have been forgiven for!

I'll go now. I hope you have a wonderful day. Come to the hill again. The road is not too icy and Syd keeps it plowed and sanded well.

No comments:

Post a Comment