Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Testing, Time & Tenacity

The three chairs (a winter project) that sat in the living room all Winter are done and headed out the door. I started out with an inferior cane which kept breaking. It didn't matter if it was dry or soaking wet, it broke when tugged on very hard. With the new cane, woven into the pattern it was designed to bear, I trust that these seats will stand the test of time. Along with the seat I included a sheet that gave instructions on how to keep a caned seat in good shape for years to come. It read (to this effect), "once or twice per year, spray the underside of your caned seat thoroughly with water and leaving it upside down (therefore, the seat not bearing any weight), allow to dry completely for 24 hours. This done, especially for the first five years of its life, should lengthen its life and allow it to stand the test of time."

“Casting all your care upon Him; for He careth for you. Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour; whom resist, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world. But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.” 
I Peter 5:6-10

We all know people, Christians as well as those who do not yet know the Lord Jesus, who are going through sufferings. As I read from I Peter this morning my heart and mind were jogged to remember those who are enduring hardship right now. I used to believe the Christian myth, that believers will be spared from suffering. We endure the same afflictions as the world. God has a purpose for you and I to suffer. He has his reasons for our sufferings. Since I am a believer though, I have this great assurance...He cares for me! I can simply cast my care upon Him!

If you would remember a couple from our town right now, Frank and Sherry, it would be so appreciated. My mother doesn't know what a testimony she was the other day when, while Sherry was sharing with her the burden of her heart; her husband, Frank, going through cancer treatments. Mom simply said, "Can we sit down right now, so that I can pray for him?" They did. Sherry went home and told Frank (who has said that he recently asked the Lord Jesus to come into his heart as Savior), he was thankful and said that he had just been praying about these things also. Sherry stopped at the Post Office to relate this all to me. Believers never know what a testimony our word and actions give. Aren't you glad? We are simply given instruction to "walk" in God's Word and let the results come from Him. For example, "Walk in the Spirit and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh." A command and a promise. God cannot lie! 

No comments:

Post a Comment