Wednesday, February 29, 2012

One More Update

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not, and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea, driven with the wind and tossed" James 1:5,6


"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee; because he trusteth in thee." 
Isaiah 26:3


We are thanking the Lord for his watch-care over Syd. Thanks, all who are praying and sent notes. He's resting (not comfortably yet). His high hopes of going to work today have been dashed, as we all expected he'd feel pretty bad. The stents are very painful, but we're thanking the Lord for medication at this time.

The area I am asking the Lord for wisdom in is that of what to FEED him. Most of the medical professionals say that it makes little difference, but I do not believe that for a minute! We have a healthy diet at home. Syd gets green salads in his lunch every day, much homemade soup, drinks LOTS of water and only eats whole grains (but  mostly wheat). He doesn't drink soda (even Moxie, which is his favorite) except about 1 per month, at fellowship dinner. In reading on-line, many of these "healthy" habits (green leafy vegs, whole wheat flour,almonds and seeds...) contribute to the formation of stones in people who have a family history of them, which he does.

I stopped and bought Millett and Spelt flours last night and made the artisan bread with these, as they do NOT contribute to stones (yay!!). The loaf last night didn't rise as well, but I also did not let it rest long enough. It's delicious, though flatter. At least it's something he can eat today while he's home. I feel like, everytime I go to cook something, I'll have to go to the computer first and google it (which I really won't mind doing till I learn what's right).  Syd googled "onions and kidney stones" today, called me and said, "I can eat onions!" (yay!!)  However, one cannot live on Spelt bread and onions alone! I'm laughing now, because I know that the Lord is going to open up understanding on this- He promises that He will, as we ask for wisdom, asking in faith.  Please know, all our friends, the eating habits will be followed only at home or out to eat - do NOT worry about using wheat or whatever if we're eating at your house. We just want his everyday diet to not contribute to ill health as he doesn't really want to go through this again. Guess what? we also found that by staying away from wheat (which is a mucous-forming agent) he might not suffer from his chronic sinuses anymore. That would be a miracle, as he's been in "headache mode" a few days per week for years now. Truly, I don't know how he can be such a pleasant person to live around with the pain he's in much of the time, except for the Lord's strength. He is a joy to be with and I thank the Lord for him more and more all the time.
Well, this was mostly an update post. Thanks, those of you who are praying and remembering us here on the Hill. We thank the Lord for trials that come; as "tribulation worketh patience, and patience experience and experience hope; and hope maketh not ashamed, because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." Rom. 5:3-5

We are in for a "big" snow in our area, they say. Have enjoyed a mild winter so far; the Lord only knows what March will bring!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the update!!! We will continue to pray for him, and for great wisdom in what to eat. How about some applesauce? Chicken soup?

    I stopped eating wheat myself almost 2 months ago and I feel so much better that I have no plans to go back to it. I decided I wouldn't get into trying to do gluten-free baking and all that (because the ingredients are expensive) until I saw how I felt, but I just sent off an order today to King Arthur (they have 29¢ shipping for today only) because I can see now that I am in this for the long haul and might as well learn how to bake wheat-free.

    If you check out the gluten free section of their site, they have some helpful hints for converting one's own recipes.

    Will keep praying for Syd. My hubby asked the men to pray for him at men's prayer meeting Monday night, and we will mention it at our regular prayer meeting tonight. Please give him our love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending Syd a hug!
    My neighbor, Alison, has gone wheat or gluten-free and feels a whole lot better! She was having some arthritis which is greatly helped by not using wheat and other things with gluten. (I am guessing it causes deposits on bones on in them much like making the stones.)
    I read an article recently that explains that our wheat has been tampered with, the modifying of the SEED and changing of it's natural make-up! All to make it grow faster and produce more and generate more $$$. IF we could get some wheat berries, for one, that have been grown from non-altered seed we might be OK eating it again!! God created all things good and good for our human use! It is MAN that has messed things up, and royally too!
    Will keep an eye out for good gluten free things. Syd, feel better and soon ! Praying for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update! I think Mr. v is counting his blessing for marrying you :) ... your a good example to us younger ones :). I did not know wheat contributed to sinus infections ... that might have helped me to stay away from it when I was pregnant with Leah as I had them most of the pregnancy. I am back to wheat free and feel soooo much better.
    My hubby called this afternoon :) just to check in :) and asked if we heard anymore about Mr. V so I checked to see if you had updated and you had!
    This is getting long :) if Mr. V can handle a little laughter .... Samuel was surprised that you two had been married 83 years :)! (So was I :)) He saw the title on your blog, but the way the screen was it only showed the cake and title so he naturally assumed Wonderful Years referred to marriage :).
    Keeping you both in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying he feels better and that the food issues get easier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, all of you for the good comments and for the suggestions on wheat- free stuff! I'll check out King Arthur's site too. Thanks for praying!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love and prayers for both of you as you make transitions. You might want to look into parsley. It is widely used in Europe to treat kidney stones of both types.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad that you had updated us.Hoping that the diet changes help Mr.V feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Rebecca, for the parsley idea. I read about parsley and cilantro both being good, so we put fresh in our soup last night.

    Thanks, too, Nikki, and all for praying!! The Lord is so good to us!

    ReplyDelete