Saturday, February 25, 2012

Promises on a Snowy Night

The snow came last night. I was spending the night at my parent's house on top of Darling Hill. As I heard a coy dog's yip and wind gusts hit the house, shaking windows and creaking things out on the porch, I awoke, thinking about things like: "I wonder how deep the snow is, wonder how Dad's car is going to get out the driveway through the heavy drifts. I must remember to sneak down to the basement and get Mom's rubber grips to slip onto my boots so that I can walk down to our house in the morning, if need be", (and, as it would be dark, thoughts of coyotes were lurking there in the shadows also); these were the fleeting thoughts; then came thoughts about the economy and how expensive it will be NEXT year to heat the house (never a good subject to think on when trying to sleep), wondering what we might have that we could sell to bring in some money, etc. etc. etc! Satan used to be able to really get me in this area but, if I'm heeding, the verse from Philippians 4:8 comes readily to mind now, "...whatsoever things are TRUE, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of GOOD REPORT; if there be any virtue and if there be any PRAISE, think on these things." The Lord also brought verse 6, reminding me to "be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known unto God." As I did so, He truly did bring peace that passes understanding (and sweet sleep), as He always does when I listen and obey Him. When the 5:45 alarm sounded I gathered my things and went though my morning routine, still conscious of the possibility that I may walk down the hill to my house; trying to remember all the little things (borrow a scarf from Mom, as I'd forgotten mine, mittens, etc). Then a light flickered and I heard the friendly sound of a plow coming along through the darkness! The Lord had it all planned and had laid it onto my sweet husband's heart to come and help me out of the driveway and down the road! Our God is so faithful and His promises are always true!
The sun is breaking through and everything is clean and white. Don't you love seeing each branch and tiny twig laden with  heavy snow? It's late February and Spring is 'just around the corner'. Whatever March may bring, sugaring season is almost upon us, then mud season.Toward the end of April people will begin venture up the Hill to visit again. As believers on the Lord Jesus, we wait for the Him to catch us up to 'meet Him in the air', but in the meantime we look forward to the warmer days and months ahead, always knowing that He is there to leave our requests with and we can know that He is faithful to answer prayer and keep His promises!

This morning my heart was warmed by God's love for me, his child. Lord, help me to keep my heart with all diligence, to believe your Word and live by it and to love you with all my heart, soul, and strength!

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful post! Thanks so much for sharing these precious thoughts and promises. Here is a favorite verse of mine when sleep eludes me: "When thou liest down, thou shalt not be afraid: yea, thou shalt lie down, and thy sleep shall be sweet." (Proverbs 3:24)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting how all these thoughts come out at night as we lay in bed.Thank you for reminding me to think on scripture when all those doubts and fears arise.

    ReplyDelete