Friday, February 24, 2012

Soup and Bread on a Snowy Night

It's a beautiful night in the North country. The snow is coming down, bread just came out of the oven and I have Split-pea and Ham soup on the stove.

Syd came home tonight with the HUGEST bones for the dogs. Sturm couldn't get his mouth around his, so I set it in an out-of-the way spot on the wood floor so that we wouldn't be slipping on a greasy spot in the walkway. He worked on it for almost an hour before he'd hollowed a place in the marrow; now he could carry it around and chew wherever he wanted. He did so for over two hours, until his jaw got tired I suppose. Now he's curled up on his sheepskin sound asleep while Ruger gets it completely cleaned off (he got his stripped already). Sturm doesn't seem to mind Ruger taking his over.

It's a perfect night for soup and bread. We just finished a pot of beef stew. Mom and I had the last of it at lunchtime (actually I'd left her the very last bowl to warm up for her supper tonight). Syd made chicken stew last night - a little still left in the fridge. We're BIG soup eaters here, as you can tell!! Thanks, Nikki, for the wonderful Artisan Bread recipe. It's simple and the dough lasts in the fridge for quite some time.  It comes out looking beautiful also. I do it on Mom's soapstone griddle, as my baking stone is packed away. The soapstone griddle works great!


I hope you're all having a safe and warm night in your homes. Syd's snoozing in the chair. After work he went to a friend's house to consult about some work he's doing in their barn. The snow's not mounted up enough to plow yet, but I suppose he'll have a really early morning.

Well, it's time to wake up my hubby and have some soup. Take care, all. I hope to have another post soon. Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. That bread looks yummy and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snowing here too. It is indeed beautiful. I really don't mind that it's snowing; we've had so little of it this winter. Soup is a big favorite of ours also. We could eat soup every night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The soup and break look perfect :) :) I had hommade chicken soup tonight for dinner. It's really, really tasty good :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bread looks great Mrs.V.Glad you liked the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started a comment last night and then some little one had other ideas about me finishing it :).
    Your bread looks yummy! Your soups sound delicious! I can't quite remember ... but ... did Mr. V make re-fried beans? If so could we get the recipe?
    My hubby is safely home for the storm (Saturday night) :).
    Lord willing it will clear up by morning!

    ReplyDelete