Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Village and Country Walk

We are so blessed with a beautiful, green contryside. Every state has its own beauty but there is truly something about our rolling hills and the ability to look around in every direction, to find yourself "in a bowl"; that is how I've always described it. Having never spent much time on the other side of the mountains that divide our state, I had not realized that it seems like you're out on the prairie when you are over there. It was during a ride with my parents many years ago that I realized that being on the west side is somewhat like being in a different part of the country; looking over wide, flat fields and farmland, seeing very distant mountains. It holds a beauty all its own. Here on Darling Hill the mountains seem near-at-hand. Driving through our rural villages takes you over and around one green hillock after another; folded in amongst the valleys are farms, homes and small businesses.

A view from Mud Lane, on my way home one day last Fall.

In the early eighties, when Syd and I were first married, he worked for an engineering firm in a small town called Woodstock. It is a well-known vacation retreat for people from all corners of the globe. One busy and quaint main street offers shopping and dining experiences that would please most any taste. At least once-a-month I would ride to work with Syd and park in the back parking spaces behind the main street stores. The dirt lot was out of the way and set in amongst the trees and alongside the river. A footbridge took Syd across the brook and up to the little firm where he worked. I would sit in the car and read my Bible for some time and then lock up and venture out to take in the shops. The lack of money in my pocketbook did not discourage me from entering the Unicorn, where would be all sorts of beautifully hand-turned creations and interesting pieces. Many of these I would sketch in my mind, to refer to once I gathered the materials, to make them as gifts. Down the street was "Who's Sylvia?", a haven of Victorian clothes and accesories. One could take much time here, trying on hats and vintage clothes. The kitchen shop "down under" was fun to poke through and across the street, Gillingham's offered everything from apples to zinc lids. Come lunchtime, George, the Village Butcher, would make a sandwich that contained enough meat for three! My favorite place was The Good Times Shop where, upon entering, one was greeted with the ticking of countless clocks. There were tiny, jeweled timepieces and mantle clocks, as well as grandmother and grandfather varieties which stood in the corners. Nancy would be there to chat with for "as much time as you wanted to spend". She and her husband, Jim, became dear friends of ours in the years to follow.  My next stop would be at a basement thrift store. Here is where I would spend the bulk of my time. They often held bag sales and I came away with wonderful finds!

Many years have come and gone since those monthly shopping experiences. We still enjoy a short visit to Woodstock from time to time but I've not been back for an all-day village walk for many years. These days my walks take me along a country lane or down small logging roads, through maple and poplar, birch and pine trees. This winter has been quite short on snow and one can take to the woods without snowshoes, for the most part. Monday Mom and I donned our "grips", to avoid slipping on the ice which covers Darling Hill Road. As we walked we noted the burdock that still clung to the branches alongside the lane. Last Fall a neighbor called me to ask whether my mother and I had anything to do with the adorable creature she saw sitting on the branch of a tree near her house. Upon inspection she found that it was made of burdock and had been formed to look like a squirrel!  What a wonderful idea! So, on Monday, Mom and I plucked the sticky balls of burdock from their stems and fashioned this little fellow. There is no lack of this particular vegetation here on The Hill, therefore we hope to hide owls in the trees and porcupines on stumps in the future. "Thanks" to whoever came up with this whimsical idea!


Next time you're up on Darling Hill, veer off the beaten path on a country walk and perhaps you'll see one of our little friends. These creatures may not be as refined as what you'll see in The Unicorn Shop, but come and enjoy the unique quaintness and quietness here anytime!

1 comment:

  1. OK Let's just 'do' Woodstock some nice springy day after I get back to the hills!
    I love the burdock creatures idea! Remember making rugs and place mats for our playhouses when we were kids?

    ReplyDelete