Monday, February 20, 2012

Water from an Almighty God

"Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again; but whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst..." John 4:13, 14

What a blessing water is. For a few years we lived in our little house with no source of water. Praise the Lord, my mother has a deep well on the top of Darling Hill. They drilled over 600 feet through ledge to get it, but the water was down there.  The jugs would be filled and toted to the house for showers, drinking and dishes. Today our little dug-well springs forth with life-sustaining water that the Lord has provided for us.

I was reading from John chapter 4 this morning. In reading about the life-giving water that Jesus offered the Samaritan woman, and truly anyone who will take of this water of life freely, it brought thoughts of the "Almightiness" of God.  The woman said,"Thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep." As I coupled this passage with a page from Oswald Chamber's book, My Utmost for His Highest, I read, "When it comes to facing Jesus Christ on his own merits, our attitude is one of pious superiority - 'Your ideals are high, and they impress us, but in touch with actual things, it cannot be done.'" To my shame, I suppose this is how I sometimes think.

Perhaps it never happens to you, but now and then when I wake in the night Satan puts thoughts into my mind. In the darkness I mull them over and over, allowing worry to creep in from the shadows. What will happen to me if...?  How will we handle things if...? Why these misgivings about the Almighty God whom we serve?  Our wonderful Lord owns the cattle on a thousand hills, the wealth in every mine! He has given us all things that pertain to life and godliness! He gave me the "water of life" in salvation; He will also provide all things that are needed to sustain my physical (and of course our spiritual) life. He promises all of his children that he will not leave us 'orphan'. Though father and mother may forsake us, or close friend, or sister, brother- He will never do so!

The well was a great deal deeper than the Samaritan woman knew. Our precious Heavenly Father has ALL that is needed to "draw with". Lord, teach me not to 'impoverish' the ministry of Jesus, so that He cannot do anything in my life. I am reading again from Chambers, "The thing that taxes almigtiness is the very thing which we as disciples of Jesus ought to believe He will do. We impoverish his ministry the moment we forget that He is Almighty; the impoverishment is in us, not in Him."

As I commune with my own heart on my bed, in the night shadows, may I listen as the Lord reminds me that "Joy will come in the morning"! I pray that I will consistently believe all the promises contained in the Scriptures. Lord, teach me to get to KNOW you more and to love you with all my heart, strength and mind.

I believe this is my only "borrowed" photo on the blog, but these waterfalls are so refreshing and beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment