Friday, April 4, 2014

More Lessons from the Lord and Mom

“Bless the Lord, O my soul; and all that is within me, bless His holy Name.” Psalm 103:1

Even as grown children, we can learn from Mom’s example. My brother, sister in law, husband and myself are caring for our dear ‘Mom’, as you know from reading previous posts.

Through the aging process, hers and mine, the Lord is using Mom to teach me many lessons about myself along the way – many of the things I see in these lessons are my selfishness, impatience and (sad to say) sometimes heartlessness. These are hard lessons but I am thankful to learn them, confess and forsake them (hopefully, prayerfully).
This excerpt is not about those things, but just to share the blessing that I see in how Mom ‘makes connections’ to the Lord at every turn -She blesses the Lord with ALL that is within her!

We watch the tendency to disconnect from the past. It seems to be happening to, and even changing daily, with Mom. The greatest thing is to see how the Lord intervenes. As a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, Mom is a wonderful example of blessing the Lord’s name! Though she does still go through sad stages from time to time, because of God's grace she knows her need to sit right down and talk to the Lord, read her Bible, and thank Him for all that He has given her. Today when I saw her at lunchtime she had found a box full of her old Scripture memorization cards and was working on memorizing Luke 11:28, "so I can share it with people," she said.




Mom's 85th birthday party
 I pray that I’ll make the connection to the Lord’s hand in every area of my life now, so that in my old age I will ever ‘bless the Lord, O my soul’!

7 comments:

  1. I was so very thankful for the time that God gave me with your mom and you and your family. I learned so much from her. She touched my life in a way that I will never forget. You are your mother's daughter and I have no doubt that you will always have that connection with the Lord and will always share that with others. You do that now everyday of your life and I know that you always will, just as she always has. No matter what the body does, God is greater. Her whole heart is for our Lord and He uses her to teach us. Please give her a big hug for me Love, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mrs. V,
    Thank you so much for posting these dear thoughts about your Mom. She is a sweet and precious lady and we have all been blessed by her very much! Her faith is a wonderful inspiration to us; I have been ashamed at times by my own lack of faith when I have listened to her express her gratefulness to God for being there whenever she needs to talk to Him.
    Blessings,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah said it all so well. I am always telling Josh how much patience you show to your mom. What a great testimony that is to ME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We continue to pray for your sweet mom as well as all of you that are caring for her. Please, please bring her back to OBBC to visit sometime! Our services are at 9:45 and 11 with dinner on the grounds and an afternoon service at 1:30(ish) We'd all love to worship with you again :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We want to get her down to OBBC. We were very excited to hear that you are fellowshipping there again! She loves you guys so much and prays for you always. She says, "Lord I pray for Gary, and for our own Pastor P.., in A ..." This prayer is given at every prayer meeting, almost without exception.

      Delete
    2. Fo has pulpit supply at other churches during the summer -- please let us know when you plan to come down.

      Delete
  5. Dotty's faith has been an inspiration to me for many years! And I see this faith in you, her wonderful daughter as you live your faith each day. I pray I can be as trusting as she is and that others may see Jesus in me as they do in you two!! Please give her hugs for me until we make it up on the Hill again!

    ReplyDelete