Tuesday, August 14, 2012

First Things First

"Therefore, take no thought, saying what shall we eat? or what shall we drink? or, wherewithal shall we be clothed?...for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these  things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you."
Matthew 6:31-33

It so wonderful to remember that nothing can separate the believer from the love of Christ. He loves us in the midst of tribulation, distresses, famine, nakedness, peril or sword! most of which I have never yet encountered. No matter what the tribulation or distresses are, the focus has to be on God and His righteousness. I was reminded today to stop flitting around, seeking what ministry I can have in someone's life here...or there...God will bring the opportunities for ministry along my path as I am focusing on Him. It does little good to look good on the outside (trying to please people by constantly "meeting their needs", perhaps) if I am not first focusing wholly upon and pleasing God on the inside. This is just something that the Lord has reminded me of in the past several days. He has a way of working in us very individually, doesn't He? God knows me so much better than I know myself. Let's be so in tune with Him that when He prods us in a particular area, we are ready to recognize where we've turned aside, confess it and go on with the Lord!

The Christian life is one of such simplicity when it is in tune with the Saviour. I wrote a line of a chorus once, based upon Ephesians 2:10, "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." The first time that the Lord helped me understand that verse it was pointed out that the word "workmanship" was "poiema" (spelling?) which is where we get our word poem. The question I have written in the margin of my Bible there is, Am I walking in the path wherein He designed this poem? We are His poem!

The chorus was only ever partly written but it comes to my heart often when I consider the "well worn way" that my feet are to be taking daily. "A poem for Jesus; His workmanship are we; the world reads each line daily, each word they see." The most important One who sees our poem is the Lord Jesus Christ, but our children, grandchildren, neighbors, co-workers and others are reading it as well.

I am thankful that nothing can separate us from Christ's love and that He guides our feet in the path that we should take. My prayer is that I consider Him first, knowing that "all these things" will be added to my life as I am seeking the things of "His righteousness".


Whether it's strewn with flowers and sweet;
sun-flecked, or with rocks, and dim;
I'd rather have Jesus to guide my feet
than to travel the path without Him.





3 comments:

  1. Oh how timely your posts are for me. Thank you for your transparency. I have been saved fifteen glorious years and I am “learning” to LET GO and LET GOD. I can so easily be Martha, cumbered about with much serving (or at least looking for it), but God’s merciful permissive SUFFERING has brought me to a place that I recently uttered to a friend, “I don’t care if all I do is sit in my house all day and PRAY for everyone and everything the Lord brings to mind.” How foolish of me, to relegate PRAYER so low in my life, but how blessed and wonderful it has been to realize that PRAYER is what God wants me to do and as I am faithful to live each day seeking HIM, and PRAYING, He WILL bring to me those He wants me to serve and minister to. I am the one that mounts up labors that He never intended.

    I OFTEN say to my husband, “Beware lest any beguile you of the SIMPLICITY that is in Christ”, (cf. 2 Corinithians 11:3). SIMPLE, the Christian life IS simple IF we are SURRENDERED to the SAVIOUR. We are the ones that make it difficult. Aaargh!!!!

    This has been so good for me today. THANK YOU!!!! (Sorry for the EMPHATICS, but I HAVE BEEN BLESSED!) God bless you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs V,
    Your posts are always a blessing to me. :) Life has been busy on our side of the hill. We missed you all on Sunday. I think the Chevy is going to the mechanic's tomorrow. At least it usually runs. Hoping his computer tells us something? Our Dodge is waiting for new brakes( I think).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always give so much to think on!
    I am soooooo thankful God saved me! There is nothing sweeter than just simply walking with the Lord ... yet so often we need that reminder :( as the cares of this world push there way in! I am very thankful for a few quiet moments now and then to think on these things and have my mind renewed. How I need those quiet moments with my Lord!
    Thank you Mrs. V you are such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete