Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Stranger in our Midst

Romans 8:1 "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

The Lord blessed me this morning from these promises from Romans 8.

I'm glad you stopped by the hill today, as you can see the lovely hibiscus that has come out on my back porch! The little tree seems to like it out here best. The overmuch rain had caused all its leaves to turn  yellow and fall off. Now there are lots of new leaves and blossoms! Yesterday morning it looked like
this:
you can see all the other flower buds too!
 Last night Syd told me to look out on the porch. The hibiscus flower was completely unfurled! So pretty!


I only take this one to show, again, how far across it reaches, and the pretty stamen. Sorry it's fuzzy
That was an exciting discovery. When I went to work and was sorting the mail, a man stepped into the lobby and said, "Do you have any coffee?" My co-worker, Dave, and I looked through the PO window and there the man stood. I said, "well, I could make you some". I think that took him by surprise --but then, I was the surprised one - to see that I didn't have any coffee with me. I'd run out a few days prior and had not brought any more from home! Anyway, in the fridge was almost a full cup of STRONG stuff which I'd planned on making iced coffee from. I heated it in the microwave while he told us that he is walking to Pennsylvania! -and has been sleeping outside. Neither Dave nor I got the whole story, but while the coffee was warming, the man asked me, "If you were to die today, would you go to heaven?" I replied (emphaticallly), "YES!" He said that he thought  I said that with alot of confidence and I explained to him that I knew the Lord Jesus as my personal Savior, so, yes, I would go to be with God when I die. He is also a Christian and said that he'd been giving out gospel tracts on his travels and that many people in this part of the country don't give such an affirmative answer. The man, Nick, continued to sip his coffee while we all made some small-talk, then he left.  Of course, after he left, I wished we'd asked him many more questions and that I'd had more food (or candy, or anything) to give him for his trip.

I do not know why God sent Nick along; perhaps so that he would have contact with Christians who would pray for him in his journey, perhaps to be a testimony for Christ to my co-worker, perhaps just as a real encouragement to me (as this truly did "make my day"). Syd and I are now praying for Nick and will be bringing him up for prayer on Wed night at prayer meeting, so that other believers will be praying him on his way.

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers; for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." Hebrews 13:2

I pray that you have a blessed day, and THANKS for stopping by Darling Hill!

6 comments:

  1. Perhaps God sent Nick to be an encouragement to your readers, too. :) Thank you for the story, it was encouraging to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it was, Jon. It's a joy to meet fellow believers - some we will probably never see again until we all get to heaven!

      Delete
  2. Amazing story - did he happen to say where in PA he was headed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simply that he would be seeking a job in the "oil fields". Sure wish we'd talked more.

      Delete
  3. WOW! That is really neat!!! We will pray for Nick too and Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great happening! Nick must have been so cheered to find a fellow Christian. I am sure it made his day too. I do believe we sometimes entertain angels unaware. I too will pray for Nick and Dave as well.

    ReplyDelete