Friday, June 8, 2012

Happenings on the Hill

It's a warm summer day that promises, so the weatherman said this morning, thunderstorms this evening. Aunt Janet will be happy to hear that I have been picking my milkweed tops and plan on having them with tonight's supper. I am ashamed to say that it is my FIRST time (imagine that, of a country girl like me!). I had been planning to serve them last night with chicken, but my sweet hubby came home  with TWO LARGE pizzas! He had been thinking about surprising me by cooking dinner - but decided on pizza on his way home. It certainly did surprise me! I don't know what he thought we were going to do with TWO. He said that he was thinking of having Mom come down, which we did, but even the three of us couldn't polish those off! We all had our fill then each were able to have some for lunch today and there's still enough for Syd to have some tomorrow. He is one for doing things up big! With full bellies we still managed to each get a cup of coffee and waddle out to the new back porch to enjoy the rocking chairs and a quiet evening gazing down into the woods. I LOVE the porch Syd has put on and the fact that he has now opened the "spare room" (enclosed end of porch) into our living room. Previously there had been a temporary wall. With a wide opening there now, it gives the appearance that our living room is much larger!

Other evening happenings on the Hill:
I was walking the dogs on Monday evening at the top of our driveway - still "broad-daylight", when suddenly both their noses went to the edge of the road. Ruger's hair went up on his back and he started toward the neighbor's house. It was right then that I heard the bear give a loud hoot. It sounded as if it was just on the other side of  their place. Ruger growled and was headed down when I called him back and we went inside and phoned Joe & Janine. Yes, Joe had been outside when their visitor sounded off. He was inside when I called them! Syd stepped out on the porch and hooted to the bear, he did not answer.They're roaming around looking to see if their berries are ripe yet, I guess. We still do feed the birds up at Mom's but we're pretty diligent to take the feeder in at night. I know that it doesn't matter though, as  I posted a couple weeks ago - another neighbor had one come up on her deck in the middle of the day. I'm glad that, "they're more afraid of you than you are of them" - what a funny saying.

I never even think of seeing one though. I am famous for not seeing bears. It's a family joke, actually. Everyone had seen a bear but me. Syd sees bears on his way to and from work. Our nephews have both reported sightings, though Dallas hesitated to tell me, not wanting me to feel bad. The ONE time I did see one (in the exact vicinity of where one was calling out the other night) it was running SO fast and so low to the ground I hardly got a chance to know it was a bear. We were on our way to prayer meeting and I was excited to tell Dallas that "I've seen a bear!".  Syd had a dream one night. We were on a ride with Mom and Dad, out on a back road (typical) when Dad pulled over and he, Syd and Mom were all watching a bear. I just could NOT see it! Mom and I were in the back seat. I even got on Mom's lap and she was trying to point it out to me - I still never saw it. Even as I am typing this I'm laughing very hard.

This is a rather rambling post. I just miss blogging and have checked out all the posts on my "reading list". I got a cute picture sent to me by Aunt Jan today. She took it in town the other day. These ducklings were enjoying a dip and a sip from a puddle. I read "Make Way for Ducklings" while in a doctor's waiting room on Tuesday. This adorable picture makes me think of them.
They're all here...Jack, Kack, Lack, Mack, Nack, Oack , Pack and Quack! plus TWO (Rack and Sack, I suppose)
I hope that you all have a blessed evening. Thanks so much for stopping by the Hill.

P.S. Syd just called and wanted to know if he might stop at Subway! I don't know why, but he must be going through a fast food withdrawal. We just never really eat at these places - really! I told him what I have planned and he thought that was a better idea...THIS time.

"Rejoice evermore, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." I Thess. 5:16-18

6 comments:

  1. I am still laughing about the 2 large pizzas and having your Mom down :)... I know she can eat but... :). Isn't it wonderful when our husbands surprise us with dinner? Does this mean your computer is back?
    We'll have to stop up for coffee sometime :)!
    Have a great evening and please keep Nick in prayer tomorrow morning ... wasn't going to say anything in case it does not go well ... but I know he will appreciate the prayer!!Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did just pray for Nick. Will keep it up this morning. No computer yet, am using quickly from a PO. Yes, our husbands are so wonderful and I love mine for "doing things up big!" PLEASE we must set up a Sunday afternoon when we can have coffee/dessert soon.

      Delete
    2. Sounds good to us :). Won't be for a few weeks though :(.
      Thank you for your prayers for Nick. Lord willing he will take the test again late July.

      Delete
  2. The thought of those pizzas made me hungry. :) Love the picture of the ducks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were yummy and yes, that duck picture was so nice. I'm glad Janet took it. Lord willing see you Sunday.

      Delete
  3. I want to try those stuffed grape leaves ! Probably make a small batch as you know who won't try new things willingly! Or just slip in half the casserole using cabbage leaves ! And you know about those pieces of tomatoes! Maybe when things calm down around here we can make it up to the Hill in the Gypsy
    Wagon which is looking better every day. Sounds better too with new muffler and pipe! Root canal completion on Friday after Den's DHMC visit on Thurs. Too busy these days! Don't know about that bear though.

    ReplyDelete