Sunday, July 10, 2011

Empty, that You may Fill Me

Okay, I know, I changed the background of the blog. I hope you can stand it...I don't know if I can for long but I was getting really tired of that tan page! I went FAR from tan, huh? I do like bright colors, but sure would rather design my very own background. As you may guess, it would look kind of mossy with pieces of sticks, leaves, ferns & pinecones all over it. There's no such animal to choose from and I didn't see a 'customize' spot. I'll go back to one that's easier on the eye soon, I'm sure.

I have not had alot to write about lately. We went to a funeral yesterday - nothing very exciting to write about there. We did see people who we don't get to see often. It is always good to be with family and friends.

Today we had a wonderful day at our little country church. I love singing the old hymns; the windows thrown open and the beautiful music and voices streaming out into the air. I wish I could be walking down the road sometimes, just to listen.

It's a gorgeous afternoon on Darling Hill! Mom took Ruger for his promised walk, which is pleasing him, I'm sure. I think she enjoys it as much as he though. Syd is preparing to sell his old '53 Chevy. We had kept it in hopes of fixing it up one day. It made the best backdrop for our pictures. We had an old chevy truck that was perfect too, but sold that last year. We are now fresh out of photo backdrops!

The house is empty. The coffee carafe is full, as it just finished dripping. I'm about to get a cup. Grab a cup yourself and we'll read and write together.

Today I was reminded that God uses empty vessels. One of the Scriptures that was in the message today was II Corinthians 4:7, "But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us." A believer's life is simply an earthen vessel which the Lord wants to fill and use for His purposes. All through my christian life, especially during my married life (since 1980), my prayer has been, "Lord, make me what you want me to be." I assume that if you are a christian, you have desired and asked for the same thing in your life. I want the Lord to help me throw out, and keep throwing out, all my expectations of what I think my life is SUPPOSED to be like, so that I am not digging in my heels while He tries to direct me in the way He wants me to go. Looking back through these 30 plus years, I know that the Lord has directed us all the way. There certainly have been setbacks, due to stubbornness on our part, but everything that He has allowed in our lives has been for our good and I trust, for His glory. In John 7:37, Jesus calls out to men and women, "If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water." Once we have received the relationship; accepted the call to salvation through Jesus Christ, God's Son, we then can come, thirsty, to the Lord, "drinking" from the water of His Word; that is when He will fill us up and allow us to be a continuous fresh spring; a river of living water to flow out to others.

Life is a steady, flowing journey. For a christian, it is one of sojourning until we are taken to our true Home in heaven. Lord, please continue to keep me, a vessel that is emptied of self and full of the Water of Life; and you have promised that as I continue to come to you, this fresh, living water will flow from my belly and out to others.

I hope you all can take some time to meditate on things from God's Word today. Have a wonderful evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment