Wednesday, July 13, 2011

It Only Takes A Spark

I did "breakfast", and eventually "lunch" with friends on the hill today. As I was getting ready to toast my bread at home, I decided to simply butter one side and sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar; this done with anticipation of setting them on the grill over a nice warm fire when I reached the top of the hill. It turned out that there was no fire yet started, which was okay, as I am usually a fine fire-builder. Mom, our friend, Dottie, and I worked with enough hay, dried leaves and small sticks to start a 5000+ acre forest fire. After much shielding from the wind and dousing with yet more dried grass, a small ribbon of smoke rose up from the mound. The tiny flames began to dance while we added yet more sticks and hay. Finally I was able to set a grate over our little blaze and toast one side of my cinnamon bread which I greatly enjoyed with coffee.

At one point, while I was holding the lighter-flame to the base of our project, Dottie began singing, "It only takes a spark to get a fire going..." Mom and I piped in, "and soon all those around can warm up in its glowing; that's how it is with God's love, once you've experienced it; You spread His love to everyone, you want to pass it on." I hadn't heard that song in years. It took a little more than a spark for our little fire to go, but it served its purpose well!

There is little more to write about today. Our friends had to go home this afternoon and promise to return to their little camper on the hill within a few short weeks. Hopefully it will be sooner. The top of Darling Hill holds quite a few campers during the summer and it is so nice to enjoy everyone's company.

If you can find your way, we have a place for you by the fire.

Here's a lovely picture from the Hill, taken just before sunrise!

No comments:

Post a Comment