Tuesday, November 20, 2012

For These, we are Truly Thankful

Coming into this Thanksgiving week, we have so much to be thankful for. With upcoming turkey brining, baking of cornbread for stuffing, finalizing recipes for pies and last minute grocery buying, it is so easy to let the day go by without really reflecting on being thankful! I have tried to meditate on it more this year, perhaps because I am getting older and the days seem more fleeting now.  The truth is, I need to be thankful every day. Many weeks ago I mentioned starting a blessings list, which I did. I tried to think wayyyy back, 32 years ago, when Syd and I first were married. Going through the years in my mind, remembering the ways the Lord has lead, and even instances where He taught me specific lessons. The list is long already, and still growing.

In my Sunday School class we have been studying in the book of John. Last week we read the account of Jesus when He was speaking to Nicodemus. He said that the wind bloweth where it listeth, and we do not know from where it comes nor where it goes, likening this to being born of the Spirit. Christians are now "born of the Spirit". Tonight in our Bible time, Syd and I read from Philippians 1. Verse 6 says that, "He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ." Sunday, the children and I talked about how we do not understand the way the Holy Spirit works in our lives, leading us and teaching us to grow, but we believe it and walk with Him each step of the way. When we were young in the Lord we may have read a particular verse or sang certain hymns day after day, or week after week. Now, many years later, we read these verses and they hold so much more meaning to us than they ever did then. On Sunday we sang the hymn, "Living for Jesus". As new believers, we sang that song practically every week; but meditating on the words last weekend, they were more alive to me than ever they were in years past. The Holy Spirit has lead me along, tempering me and broadening my understanding. I did not see it happening, but He is faithfully doing it.

Isn't it wonderful that the Lord just draws nearer and nearer to us as we draw near to Him? I love Him and hope that if you are reading this, but do not know Him as your personal Savior, you will trust the work He did on the cross of Calvary. He hung there, bearing all your sin and shedding His blood to take the death that we all deserved because of sin. It's the thing that I am most thankful for - my Savior!

I am praying for so many of you; There are so many who are going through hardships at this time, and yet I know that you are looking at your blessings instead. Knowing some of you personally, I want to let you know that I am thankful for YOU too.

Syd and I wish you all a really happy Thanksgiving.

Being that it is Deer Season (as we have always called "Hunting Season") Here are a few deer shots from us. The first one was just down behind our cabin, hiding amongst the trees.

See me?

These two turkeys walked up to the two deer, they looked at each other, then the turkeys just kept going

On Mom's front lawn

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful and encouraging. Thank You for sharing. Happy Thanksgiving.

    Hebrews 10:24

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving! I've been reading your posts, but haven't commented yet. Thanks for sharing:)

    Heather S (daughter of LoriSfargo)
    Is. 6:8

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving!! We are very thankful for our Church Family :)!!

    ReplyDelete