Friday, July 22, 2011

Around the Fire Pit

Here on the hill there is a campfire every night over the weekend and sometimes right in the middle of the week. It gives a quiet, calming feeling as the crackling sticks and scent of smoke mix with the hushed (and sometimes LOUD) conversation. As the evening wears on, talk is less and the night birds begin to lend a voice. An owl can be heard at the edge of the woods. The frogs and peepers chime in. When the red moon peeks over the eastern horizon everyone stops to watch its full ascent.

Our fire pit has been in use since before I can ever remember. My father purchased the land from my grandfather when I was ten years old but we had been coming here always. I know that it was a cow pasture when my mother was small, so there was probably no campfire ring then, but for at least 50 years people have been camping and warming their hands around this very fire pit.

This picture was taken last year and we loved the effect of the flames- and with the moon behind, perfect!

There is a book, out of print now, called "By the Light of a Thousand Campfires", which I would love to find. Last time we priced one it was way out of our range. To the best of my knowledge, it is a compilation of stories written by a game warden (I think, though I may be wrong) over a period of years. I have not read excerpts from it, but just the name alone has captured me!

It has been HOT here for the last two or three days. Last night I didn't even want to start a fire, though we do have family on the hill. Tonight, however, it will be unavoidable, as it is Friday night and that is just tradition. I am looking forward to it really. Food just tastes better when cooked over an open fire. Besides, how will I toast my marshmallow if there are no coals? over a Coleman stove - never!

The heat has zapped me of my creativity also, I suppose. I am hoping that with cooler weather I will get my brain back. Sorry the blogs have been so sparse. I look forward to diving into a cooling pond after work this evening. That will wash away the heat and prepare me for a busy weekend.

Hope you all can find a retreat of your own. Keep cool in the heat of this beautiful Summer.

1 comment:

  1. That swim sounds like just the place to be today! Hope it is cooler on Tue. when we come to the Hill. Dottie

    ReplyDelete