Monday, July 18, 2011

Do The First Works

Am I serving God, but missing Jesus? I was reading today in John 20. It is the account of Jesus meeting with his disciples after his resurrection. It says in verse 24 that "Thomas was not among them". When he was told that they had seen the resurrected Christ, he said that he would not believe unless he saw the nail prints and was able to thrust his hand into the Lord's side. For eight days Thomas lived in unbelief. It did not take pressing his finger into the nail prints, once he did see the Lord. He recognized Him immediately.

Jesus reveals Himself through the Word of God and through prayer. Without all outside pressures and interferences, am I present THERE, with him? The church of Ephesus (from Revelation 2) was doing everything right. They were laboring, patient, could not bear those who were evil, even tried the false apostles. But the Lord said that He had "somewhat against thee; for thou hast left thy first love." All they had to do was to "remember from whence thou art fallen; and repent and do the first works".

How easy it is for the believer to leave Jesus out of daily travels. We get up and do our duty toward our family, perhaps even read a daily devotional, keep our house clean, go out to work for a living, stop by to give comfort to an ailing friend or loved one. On our way we listen to christian music, scoff at the radical-liberal political view, even take great care in discerning between doctrinal issues. Upon returning to our homes to finish out our day with loved ones, a quiet dinner beginning with prayer, reading a Bible story to our children, kissing our sweetheart goodnight; how much time was spent with the Lord Jesus Christ who shed His blood and carried all our sin upon Himself while on the cross 2000 years ago?

My Lord wants my heart, not only my hands and feet. True christianity starts with Jesus Christ then flows out from there.

He does not want my "sacrifice" unless He has my fellowship first. I pray that every time that I recognize my leaving Christ out; even if it is for one or two days; that I will remember where I left Him, repent (have a change of mind) and "do the first works".

No comments:

Post a Comment