Friday, July 1, 2011

Early Morning Garden Talk


I was finally able to show you the elusive petunia. As you can see, I hate being beat out by a machine and was bound to post this!

Ruger and I were seeing Syd off this morning. As I walked through the garden area, reminding him repeatedly to "watch where you walk"...and finally shooing him back onto the driveway, I can see where my several workdays in a row are revealing garden-neglect. Those of you who know my yard "in-person" laugh, as you know just how little the garden is...but you must admit, it's a WILD area. I have burdock that could easily win a blue ribbon at any fair; for their strength of stock, stunning height, and especially broadness of leaf. I wish I really knew how to use the roots to the fullest of their potential. We have a goldmine here!! The entire bank was once completely covered with berry bushes. Anyone who has chosen to put a garden plot in where once were wild berries knows what I'm up against.

If I dared take a picture of this part of our yard, I would show you the strangest plants. I have 5 or 6 of them but no one seems to have any idea what they are. Before I'm done typing here I'm sure this urge will get the better of me and I'll head out to snap a shot...you'll see; though I don't want you organized onlookers, whose gardens are nicely weeded, to see my jungle...I won't be able to suppress it much longer.

Okay, you win! Now is your curiosity satisfied? You see, it is an unusual plant. It will grow taller than I am (5' 4") and does get a flower of such, but I think it is just a fringe-like top. I only started seeing these last year, after taking out most of the berry bushes.

Yes, and I knew you wanted to see the prize-winning burdock, so here she is. By September she should be quite ready to enter into the fair!
Sorry I didn't have time to mow the grass behind her, or up the center of the driveway for that matter.

Well, happy July to everyone! After I read, it's on to making pies for the weekend. I hope you have a very happy 4th of July holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment