Saturday, July 2, 2011

Nourishment through Sorrow

I read today that "sorrow burns up a great amount of shallowness". How true that is. Sorrow and suffering are a fact of life. I was reading an excerpt from Beneth Jones a few weeks ago. It was about a christian not being an exception, but an example. She was saying that God does not keep us from trouble just because we have received His Son's death on the cross. In the past, when reading some of the Psalms I had formed the opinion that God is going to keep me from adversity, though I know that He does not choose to do this all of the time. We cannot expect NOT to go through troubles and sorrows. In II Corinthians 6, Paul gives quite a list of things that he went through: afflictions, necessities, distresses, stripes, imprisonments, tumults, labors, watchings, fastings...Verse 10 sums it up when he says, "As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, yet possessing all things."

Reading further in the passage by Oswald Chambers today, it said, "You always know the man who has been through the fires of sorrow and received himself, you are certain you can go to him in trouble and find that he has ample leisure for you. If a man has not been through the fires of sorrow, he is apt to be contemptuous, he has no time for you. If you receive yourself in the fires of sorrow, God will make you nourishment for other people."

In spending time with the Lord in prayer, I ask, "Lord, in sorrow, help me to be always rejoicing; In times of humility, give me what is needed to make another rich; during times of having a little, allow me to show forth your glory that you have given me ALL things." I am thankful that He has given us all things. He is "...the living God, Who giveth us richly all things to enjoy." (IITim. 6:17)

I hope that this is a good day for you. It's beautiful on Darling Hill. Lord willing, later this afternoon, we will be riding in the little town parade. The Kawasaki is all decked out with red, white and blue. And I get to have our oldest citizen in town riding with me! (though he's not in this picture)
Enjoy your Fourth of July weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment