Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Deadheading

The morning is fresh and cool.  I was just out with Syd, seeing him off to work.  Thanks to a close neighbor we have a huge, lovely petunia cascading over an old stump at the entrance to our driveway.  Though recent rains have attempted to pepper its leaves and flowers with holes (with much success), there has been ample sunshine to sustain beautiful fuschia and white blooms.  I have a bent for owning plants that need steady care.   I've been trying to get out of that rut.  My gardner-daughter upbringing reminds me that this flowering beauty will only flourish with attention.

Yesterday afternoon as my mom and I were on a walk, passing by our drive, we both glanced at the petunia and dutifully stepped over and began plucking off the spent and, very sticky, heads; removing that which is old, allowing the remaining life-sap to flow into yet unfurled blossoms.  It is an unspoken rule and an unnoticed position that we take when tending things that have the potential of lending beauty to the world.

I have spent an hour or more trying to post the picture of the petunia, even trying to trick the blog by editing out the picture of Ranger (to the right).  Alas, my time has not been well spent, as there are some problems with adding pictures today!

I am now enjoying a cup of coffee in the cool of the day, ready to open the Bible for cleansing and fellowship.  I do pray that the Lord will do some deadheading in my life this morning.

I hope you all have some unexpected pleasures pop up in your path today.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this is so beautifully written. Never thought about deadheading this way before. Isn't it wonderful how we can find in God's creation so many pertinent illustrations of lessons He wants us to learn? Jesus taught that way and the lessons are endless.

    ReplyDelete