Thursday, June 30, 2011

You Were There

A very close relative passed away the other day. He suffered from Alzheimer's and other physical infirmities. His loving wife cared for him in their home to the end. He will be greatly missed and it got me to thinking about changes that could take place in any of our futures. These words came to my heart:

You Were There

during sickness in the night --
there, to hold my hair back;
a need for help with a project --
there to lend a hand, a tool;
a move, across town - across the country --
there, toting, lifting, putting into place;
to tend a child --
there to take him in, feed and lay him down to sleep;
in trying a new idea --
there to lend a thought, a suggestion;
at time of sorrow --
there to shed a tear, provide a shoulder;

Now as infirmity moves in; changes surface --
still there trying to understand, still helping, encouraging,
being the same person you have always been;

Where am I? Where will I stand?
Lord keep me "there"

No comments:

Post a Comment