Friday, March 9, 2012

"Spring" Snow and Mud

It's a morning with very light snow. Each tiny twig is frosted with white and peering from my porch, through the trees, a haphazard painting of white on white is seen.  Misty gray-white serves as backdrop beyond the woods.

Just yesterday my Mom and I trekked through muddy tire tracks on our sunny morning walk. Sturm picked his path, around the puddles, aiming for snowy patches instead; while Ruger bounded with enthusiasm across whatever he found in his way. I truly love walking during mud season (which has not actually started yet, I just like to think so). Spring is "almost" here, as we never know what March will actually bring - nor April, for that matter.

I hear the wind now, coming in waves across the tops of our tall poplars. For a time I will sit and write, drinking my coffee and preparing for this new day. The picture from my window vantage point has changed now; turning from grays to almost sepia with the brightening sky. I thought I would include the photo of our little owl friend. As those of you who visit the Hill know, Mom and I fashioned him from burdock, so plentiful here. In the two weeks that he's been perched on the tree beside the road he has been through snows and wind. Last Sunday Mom and I stopped on our way to church, as he was hanging totally upside down. He's sitting quite soundly now, though I did not check this morning on my way by.
We call him Burdy

Well, the coffee is gone and I must go on to do a few things before I leave. Take care on the snow and ice this morning, and if you drive on the backroads, remember to keep toward the middle. They may be covered with white right now but that beautiful mud is getting deeper and this weekend promises warm temperatures. Happy Spring! It's "almost" here!

No comments:

Post a Comment