Thursday, April 19, 2012

Market Day

I've worked on the blog layout long enough. The present result is not what I was intending, but the colors are an improvement over the winter design.  More changes will happen when there is more time.

It is a truly beautiful morning on Darling Hill. The sky is a clear blue and, as we are on the north side, the sun is just beginning to peek over the trees.

I would like to know what it is about a neighbor's compost pile that will lure a home-bodied dog away from his own yard and get him into such trouble! Already, Ruger has been scolded for spending time up on the hill at the W's farm. He is now banished to a sunny spot at the top of the driveway, where he lays despairingly. It is such a hard life. Sturm has it even worse, curled up on his sheepskin at the end of the couch!

The bread is rising. Today is "market day, as Mom and our neighbor lady, Evelyn, are needing a short trip to the bank and grocery. I am privileged to be the driver. With temperatures heading into the seventies, it will be a nice noon trip. Perhaps we'll start out at our favorite little cafe, Isabell's. Sadly, the pups will have to stay home, as I am driving my Mom and Dad's car and will not put dogs in it.  Syd broke TWO leaf springs on his truck (within 5 seconds of one another), a trait of this particular GMC year and model, so we hear. There it sits until Syd has time to take the old ones off and get it to a springs shop. I am thankful that none of these happenings are surprises to the Lord. Oftentimes my first thought is, "another bill to pay...where will we get the funds for this?" but I am reminded that God has always met our needs in the past and will do it again this time. He tells us to simply, ask and trust Him. My job is to keep things in order here at home and to be a "helpmeet" in whatever way that God leads. He has evidently given me the ability to meet people and to sell stamps, as well as use organizational skills in an office. I am so thankful for these two means of being able to help. What a blessing, too, that they keep me close enough to home to see Mom at some point in the middle of each day. God oversees every detail of our lives individually and I am thankful for this personal leading that He gives every one of His children.

Soon will be the time for planting. This morning was still in the mid 30s, so it's just not time to start digging up and putting in tomatoes but I am itching to get started. Last year Syd got the driveway all graded down to the level of the front door so I hope to have two raised beds on either side of the entryway for planting my veggies and herbs.


I liked these tiered beds out on our bank in front of the house, but they do not get alot of afternoon sun and therefore will be reserved for things that don't take as much light, rather than the veggies.  I will plant a couple squash plants there again this year, as they did fine out on the right end.

Well, I'll leave you with another photo taken a few years ago. Soon will be the time that the snakes hatch out in Mom's wall. This picture won a blue ribbon at our local fair and I entitled it "Did Somebody Say, Breakfast?" These four garters stuck their heads out curiously while I approached to take their picture. There was a fifth one laying up on the rock above, as you can see, but he wasn't interested enough to turn and pose. I have learned that these garter snakes are very curious characters. For instance, as they sun themselves on the rocks they will raise their heads and watch as one passes by on the lawn mower. And they don't mind if you pat them, as long as you're gentle about it.


Well, take care and thanks so much for stopping by the Hill. I hope that you have a wonderful Spring day.

2 comments:

  1. How did you learn that you can pat a snake gently? Gulp!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom I just reached down and gently patted one.The bigger ones are more tolerant, the little ones squiggle away!

    ReplyDelete