Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Fighting and Victory

I watch two beautiful male hummingbirds fight over the feeder and wonder - what are they fighting for? Perhaps it is for mating rights or possibly just for the right to that nectar! One thing is for sure, they are fierce and often fight to the death.

This made me think of II Timothy 4:7, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith." I am so glad that God has left us with the Bible; our guidebook for the Christian life. The example of Jesus Christ Himself, the apostle Paul and heroes of the faith are there for us to follow. Their lives are those of victory, not defeat.

I read a quote this morning: "He (Paul) spent his life fighting for something that would outlast him",
and wondered, what am I fighting for? Am I fighting with eternity's values in view? The Bible gives one passage (and there may be more) that illustrates the self-introspective, often conflicting and confusing struggle between the flesh and Spirit. The more Paul struggled with it and yielded to the flesh, the more he used the word "I". His life shows, obviously that he didn't yield to his flesh regularly, but claimed the promises of God on a daily basis. Praise the Lord that we can do this and these Biblical examples prove that a Christian can live all of life this way!

Lord, please keep me from groveling in so much self-introspection that I never get to see your promises and to claim them daily, for victory this life.  When I claim them, help me DO what your Word says; and not make excuses like, 'I'm waiting for the Spirit to move me' (though I want to be led only by your Spirit). With eternity's values in view, Lord!

"For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world; and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith." I John 5:4

I hope you have a really blessed day. I suppose these are the dog-days of early Summer. We've been getting some pretty heavy thunderstorms in the afternoons. Right now the mist is hanging heavily. This picture doesn't show it justly. It's truly beautiful and still.


We found six shutters, free, on the side of the road the other night! I have wanted a little potting corner or shed for quite some time. Here is my makeshift one, at the end of our porch for now.


I see the victorious humming bird, back to drink from his feeder. Take care, and thank you for stopping by Darling Hill!

No comments:

Post a Comment