Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Peak of Summer

The skies have been blue and partly cloudy with the most wonderful cloud formations lately! What a beautiful place to live, this side of Heaven! I hope you're enjoying your beginning of Summer as much as we are here on Darling Hill.

Syd's Mom and husband, Bob, were up camping nearby last weekend and we got a chance to go see them at their campsite. 

Syd & Bob went on their long-awaited golf day.

golfing is new to Syd; though he used to caddy for his grandfather and did some golfing as a teen

Bob got Syd some clubs, so now it's time to test them out!
Syd's time is demanded upon more than almost any man I know, though he would not complain or say so (I am excluding you fathers out there who are CONSTANTLY called upon for everything imaginable!). I won't go into the particulars (and I'm one of the chief "hounders"). Because of this I just encourage him to get away by himself once in a while, whether it be in the canoe or on the driving range. In 32 years, this is the first time he's actually taken my advice on this matter! yay!

I was challenged by a message my hubby preached Sunday night. It was on prayer..."It's time to pray"; that is the statement God used and is still using to prick my heart. Today I was reading from Job 42. "And the Lord turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends..." (verse10). The prayer emphasis on Sunday night was not so that I will get something from God, of course, but because prayer is a commandment and needed immediately and without ceasing. In our children's Sunday School class we've been studying about the greatest commandment, the one on which hangs all the law and prophets; LOVE. How can I love properly without constant prayer?  I read the following verses from Galatians this morning also:

"For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another." 
Galatians 5:13-15

Isn't it funny that verse 15 is in there? It just hit me today. Christians can bite and devour one another, and obviously can consume one another! What a shame. Coupled with these verses on not being in the flesh, but having true love for one another, it makes a perfect contrast. If we're not loving we may be "consuming". WOW!

stop pouting - start praying; stop complaining - start praying; stop biting - start praying; 
stop demanding - start praying.

Meanwhile, back to Saturday:
my Moms
The mothers and I decided to head out for a flea market and some ice cream. It was a really enjoyable time. We finished up with a dinner under the canopy.


here we are, all blinded by the late afternoon sun - SMILE everyone!

"Bye Mom & Bob, till next time"
For Father's Day, Syd got Bob the cutest coffee mug. I wish I'd taken a picture of what it said. Something like..."Happy Father's Day, Dad. I know, of all your kids,  I'm you're favorite!"...the other side said "Sorry the others can't be as awesome as ME!". Bob got a kick out of it, and can't wait to show it to his real daughters! (of course we know they won't be offended, as we know the girls already. They'll get a good laugh over it).

Enjoy your summer day. Tomorrow is the longest one of the year! Thanks for stopping by the Hill.

1 comment:

  1. I looked for some bragging about the golf outing, what? no hole in one, Syd? Oh well, maybe next time, huh? So glad you found time to do this with Bob. Bet he had a great time too. Blessings! Dottie & Den

    ReplyDelete