Saturday, February 15, 2014

Sober Dependence

"For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith." Romans 12:3

As I finished reading the Word this morning, this thought came to me while contemplating heading down to work my Saturday morning at the Post Office. While working there yesterday I found myself grumbling and complaining about things that have been so neglected "since I left", etc, etc....I must be honest here. Immediately it came to my mind that I just think too much of myself. Praise God that His Word truly gets hidden in our hearts so that we will not sin against Him. Sometimes it has to work in the other direction though...if we've already SINNED, like I had! We have a wonderful God who knows us and forgives us when we come in confession to Him. I'm so glad, aren't you?

I was reading an article from the little magazine, The King's Blooming Rose, this morning. One statement jumped out at me: "God's purpose through trials is to gently and methodically break our will and make us sweetly submitted to His will; to teach us to be dependent upon Him so He can conform us to His likeness...to bring us out of our self-controlled life, into a God-controlled life..."

Certainly no new concept but it reminded me that I don't want to be "self-controlled" (though we do want to have temperance) but to submit with sober dependence upon God controlling my life.

What a winter wonderland we are living in today. We have snowbanks!! I love that closed in feeling along our little lane. I hope you get to experience some snow days during the rest of the winter in your corner of the world.

Thanks for stopping up to Darling Hill today!

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I needed that exhorting statement you quoted from the Blooming Rose magazine. Praise the Lord for encouragement. LorettaS

    ReplyDelete