Saturday, November 8, 2014

Keeping Out the Chill

I don't know what prompts me to take a picture of the first snow that "sticks". We have had flurries before yesterday and last night, but it was practically gone by morning. This morning is chilly, chilly cold, so the snow will stay around till the next warm up.


The firebox to our barrel stove lies there in the foreground of the picture. Syd works on that more today. He's fired it up already, preparing it for rip-roaring fires in the future, piping heat into the house!

This morning the kitchen quilted panels were hung. I still have to get the rings sewn on near the bottom corners, so they can be flipped up during the day. Between these, the barrel furnace and the other quilted curtains (not pictured), the house should be warmer this year! Praise the Lord!

The valances were already there, so I left them for the color & hung the panels underneath

Panels made from an antique tablecloth that we picked up at a thrift store; quilted with a blanket.
Thanks for stopping by on this chilly day. It's a good one for hugging the wood stove. I've been in the little room, hovering over ours some this morning. Take care!

5 comments:

  1. Undoubtedly it is the thought of hot chocolate that makes you take pictures of the first snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true, Jon! We will have to partake of hot chocolate this afternoon, in celebration. I wish your whole family could be here with us for that!

      Delete
    2. Would love to be there!

      I have family scattered all over the world these days. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh your little cabin looks so cozy. Wood stoves are soooo nice this time of year. I am so thankful for ours. :) I like your panels for the windows too! They look nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Window quilts are great. That's the first thing I made when moving into the camper. Our heads are up against a window in the bedroom and without those the cold wind just blew right through onto us. I like the idea of using old tablecloth fabric. They are cute and functional.

    Happy winter :)

    ReplyDelete