Tuesday, July 3, 2012

All in a Summer Day

I just had a nice surprise as I turned onto the main road, on the way back to work for this afternoon. There were nieces and nephews-a-plenty, walking along the road of the home town! They all live down South now. One couple newly married, the other newly engaged and Beth was there (her hubby, our nephew, serving the Lord and country in Afghanistan). It was nice to see their smiling faces! I stopped right in the middle of the main road - we don't get tons of traffic, but I noticed that Dallas kept looking up the road behind me (I did too). Didn't stay long, just long enough to shake Willow's new husband's hand. We had not met him yet. Seeing all of them made my afternoon!

All morning long I had been earnestly praying that Sturm did not chew on Syd's dress shoes. Wanting to give Sturm another chance at being loose for just the morning, I was careful to put things up, things I know he might chew. I hung Syd's everyday crocs up on the coat hooks, my shoes were out of the way, behind something in the closet. When I got halfway to the PO I realized that I had not put Syd's dress shoes up! Every time it came to my mind (which was often) this morning I prayed, "Lord, please don't let Sturm chew Syd's shoes". He answered prayer. When I got home and went upstairs I found 5 shoes strewn across Ruger's bed (this is where Sturm chews them)...they were all mine! One shoe from five different pairs! He had made his way between the blockade and the closet entrance. I actually laughed. Most were not damaged too badly and can be trimmed up a little and still worn. There was a nice leather boot laying in the middle of the floor (mine) but thankfully he had not started on it yet. Well, I forgot to pray that he wouldn't chew MY shoes.
The little smiling face...and the harness (that I did remember to hang up this morning) which he has torn through so many times.



At these times I really do try to remember all the sin that the Lord has forgiven me for and it does help me to have that unconditional love. If God could forgive me for all the horrible things I had done against Him, and the sins I still commit, I can forgive another too. His Word says so. It probably sounds wierd, referring to a dog this way, but anyone who's had to deal with a puppy likely knows what I'm talking about. The last time we were "testing the waters" and let Sturm stay out of his kennel, he chewed one of my sandals. Syd was more upset than I was and I had to remind him that Ruger used to do it too. Hard to believe that was only two years ago. He would never even think of chewing anything now, other than food...any food!

What a beautiful summer day! I almost hate to talk about how green and lush it is here, as so many of you are going through terrible drought conditions. I remember to pray for rain in the West and Midwest and for safety for those who are near the wildfires. 

Today is not too hot here. I talked to Mom and she's been out walking and tending her woods, though with a very sore toe. She said that she'd been asking it, "why are you so sore?" and "well, you'll just have to endure some pain while I take a walk." I replied (on the phone this morning), "Why don't you ask it if it would like to be soaked in epsom salts during lunch this noon?" She thought she would. 

I'll leave you with a few lovely shots of a beautiful Summer tea party our niece had several years back:
Jonas, Anna and Velora
The group shot
croquet, anyone? Obadiah and Jonas...and Hosea?

mother and daughters
friends
mothers and daughters again! Salinn and Emma, how you've grown!
Some of you will recognize this day. Can you believe how young we all look?  What a lovely tea party it was.

Thanks for stopping by the hill today!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing all those pictures. It was fun to look back. :) Emma looks a little like Mercy there. The boy in question was actually Amos. I loved reading about all the adult cousins together. Please tell them all we said hello. :)I had to smile at all the Sturm stories. Good thing he is SO cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love looking back at pictures! They were sooooo little! Tell all those relatives that we said, "hi"!! We would have really loved to see them all too, maybe next time.
    Your story reminded of me of the time George Muller prayed for everything but the orphans and God provided everything but the orphans. What a great God we have! Glad your shoes were not damaged too badly ... he looks so innocent in that picture :). You are sooooo right ... it is much easier to forgive and love when we remember how much God has forgiven us!
    Have a wonderful day, hope you get to spend more time with the relatives :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures!! And the dog just looks too innocent to chew shoes!

    ReplyDelete