Friday, June 17, 2011

Fleeing to Safety

Life on the hill has not been very noteworthy lately.  This morning after leaving my Mom's and heading down to our place, I did see a doe cross the road.  I missed studying her because I was looking for the fawn to follow, no fawn.  I'm sorry I didn't watch the doe more closely.  She was so light in color.  Most of the ones we've seen up here have been very dark in the past two or three years.  This must be one of the twins from two years ago.  Even in the quick look I got of her I noticed, not only her coloring, but saw the muscles in her legs.  It is amazing what the Lord brings these deer through during a heavy snow-laden winter.  They are so well exercised and it shows in just a quick, chance meeting like that.  After I saw that she had no fawn, I looked out into the woods by my brother's cabin.  There was not a sign of her.  She was so swift, and or, adaptable, that in those few seconds she either took flight deep into the woods or found a place to settle in where she was safe and unseen by strangers.

Please forgive me if I've already posted this picture from three  years ago.  It seems that I have, but cannot see it when viewing older posts.  This little girl was in the grass at the cabin next door.  It was a rainy evening and we spotted her as we were driving home from church.  I grabbed my camera and got the shot while she eyed me, seeming to say, "My mother told me to stay right here until she returns."  You can see that in her eyes, can't you?

I have been reading through Psalm 119 for the past few days.  Each one of its 176 verses mentions God's Word in some way or another (with the possibility of one or two); thy statutes, thy law, thy commandments, thy testimonies, and many more.   More than the fact of the Bible being mentioned that many times, I notice something else; The majority of verses talks about what the Psalmist is doing or will DO with God's Word.  Examples:  "I have hoped in", "I will meditate in", "yet do I not forget", "I forsook not", "for I have sought", "it is my meditation all the day", "I get understanding", "I have inclined mine heart", "I will have respect"; It has been a joy to see this Psalm in this way and to not only remember that God upholds his holy Word, but that I am responsible to respond to the precepts of the Bible by being obedient to them.

An example from nature was the doe I saw this morning.  She is well exercised; God having taken her through a long, hard winter.  She knows how to get her strength from the Creator and also knows how to  take her shelter in Him and in the things that He provides for her comforts and safety.

I am heading into another day of "adventure".  I hope that yours is a good day and that some unexpected things come your way.  Take care.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post (and the picture is wonderful, too)! I enjoyed your thoughts about the doe and about Psalm 119. One of my goals is to do a study of Psalm 119. We learn so much about God's Word from it! One commentator noted that "no two verses in the Psalm say exactly the same thing. There is some different shade of meaning in every one."

    Thank you for sharing! I'm loving your blog!

    ReplyDelete