Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Excerpts from a Future Journal

"...There are some "little red soldiers" growing in the moss on the North side of this rock.  I've been on walks with Mom so many times.  She points out things like partridge berries and wild ginger, with its beautiful bell hanging down close to the ground.  Sometimes we fix little jars with moss and partridge berries, cover them with plastic and give them away to friends.  These last into the winter and remind the recipient that the snow will melt away and the green forest ground will be back soon.   There is so much to see in the woods..."  ~ an excerpt from a children's book, in the making, "A Year in My Woods", A Child's Four-Season Journal.

I am writing this little book with all of my nieces and nephews (most of whom are grown by now) and their children in mind.  I hope that my great nieces and nephews; Tristan, Megan, Beth, Ethan, Lucius, Riley and Jaden, can have the opportunity to experience these little wilderness walks that I enjoyed almost every day of my growing-up life.  The book is written from a child's perspective, which in some ways is hard to do (in other ways, not hard at all).  The memories are so vivid in my mind that putting them down on paper comes easy.  When my mother read some of the draft, she often exclaimed, "oh, I remember that!" which was a joy to me.

We saw fireflies last night ~ i just wanted to say that before I forgot!  That is a sure sign of Summer.  It is in the high 40s today and still rainy, but I have donned my sandals just the same.  The fireflies are out, and it is Summer, after all!  I am a firm believer that Memorial Day is the day for putting on your sandals, and a month after Labor Day (depending on the snow) is time for the cowboy boots to go back on.

My feet are very cold - for some reason, but I plan on spending a good deal of time inside today.    I'm on my way to an 80th birthday gathering of a friend.

I hope you all have a wonderful day.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mrs.V,
    We hope you make extra copies of the book.:)It is okay to put socks on even in June if your feet are cold.:)Nikki

    ReplyDelete