Saturday, June 18, 2011

Keen Eyesight

            Statuesque and still; an occasional wink of the eye;
            He perches above his query's door;
            An unwanted guest.
                       Beneath the earth scurries the squirrel;
                       Tidying her rooms, rearranging what is left of winter's harvest.
                       She flashes her  nose, then tail, out and in from her porthole to the
                       world.
                       The tender grass, much needed to cushion one last bare spot.
             At that instant - WHOOSH! comes a flurry of wing and claw,
             but, ah, it was not meant to be.
             He will wait once again; statuesque and still;
                        Uninvited company.

In the late winter this owl perched for days at our house on Darling Hill, just above the stonewall.  Waiting for, possibly, the same elusive squirrel that Ruger has been after this year.

On my way down the hill, this morning's wildlife sightings consisted of two ducks on the little pond at my brother's and a lone turkey picking her way through his yard.   It is a quiet morning.  Through the open window I hear the song of a consistent bird, one I have not yet identified by voice.  Yesterday we were lunching with friends at my mom's and a beautiful indigo bunting came to the feeder, blending its indigo blue with the bright yellow and red of the finches and rose-breasted grosbeak.  What a picture!
Our earthly minds just can't fathom what Heaven will be like; In nature's beauty, the Lord just gives us a taste of it while we are here on earth.

I thank the Lord for my eyesight!  It brings to mind one of the verses from Psalm 119, where I have been reading; "Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law."  The Lord wants us to be looking into his Word.  A verse in the new testament, from Hebrews 12:2 says, "Looking unto Jesus, the author and the finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before Him, endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God."  As thankful as I am for the beautiful things around me, outwardly; I am more thankful for the work that the Lord Jesus has done within.  Thankful that He did go to that cross to die for my sin and that He rose again (an historical fact, recorded not only in the Bible, but by historians who wrote during that earthly period).  No other "savior", of any religion, has historically risen from the dead but Jesus Christ!  We have an authentic, living Savior who we are told to look to, focus upon.

Again, thank you, Lord, for eyesight!

I'm heading out into this new day.  I hope you enjoy it and check back with us on the Hill once in a while.  Take care, and keep your eyes open.

No comments:

Post a Comment