Sunday, July 31, 2011

Secret Place


The shadows cast upon this rock remind me of things in the past. Though you can't see the leaves that are casting them, the shadows are left to tell you that something tangible is there. When I think of a shadow or shaded area it makes me reflect upon a safe place and an imprint that has been left in my life. The Lord tells me that, "The Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand." (Psalm 121:5). I cannot see Him, but He is there being my "shade". In the book of the Lamentations of Jeremiah it is said of "the anointed of the Lord", "Under His shadow we shall live among the heathen." God promises to keep me in the "hollow of His hand". When the Lord says that He is with me, casting His shadow over me and hiding me in it, it is so. Shaded places are those of safety. While sitting out at dusk, hearing the last distant call of the birds who seemed to have now moved deeper into the woods, I have wondered just where these little creatures go. I imagine that they have "returned to their nests" which is a safe, shaded place in the shadow of the trees.

When I was a child I had many secret places. I was always drawn to covered bridges and under two of them in my hometown, were a couple of my hideaways. I would go there to be alone and also would often take a trusted friend. We would keep special things hidden there; treasures that we wanted to keep as "our secret", a special note, a jewel-like rock, or any item that we didn't want others touching. Of course, we would find other people's secret things down there too. I began to suspect that someone else had or was using our hideaways.

Oftentimes the place didn't need to be hidden. Two of my places were not "under or beneath" anything. I had a several special places in the brook; then there was always Darling Hill. The whole top of it was a "secret place" to me. Only certain friends would venture there with me because it was so FAR to go through the woods from my Grammy & Grandpa's. To me it was just "up on the hill". The trip started on a trail through the woods, then into a long field, up to the old road which led us (and still leads us) to Darling Hill.

A secret place is a special place. When I return from being out for the day, home is a special place to be. It is where we come to be with those whom we love and who love us back. Like the bird who returns to its nest at the end of the day.

Knowing that I am in the shadow of the Almighty is the best thing of all. It is such a comfort to be in the secret place with Him. He knows all about the things that are hidden there and keeps our confidences. We can take anything to this heavenly friend and it's important to remember that there is nothing hidden from Him. It is such a comfort to be in the secret place with Him Who knows us completely, corrects us when we are wrong and encourages us when we are headed in the right direction.

I hope that you are in that special place. If you know Jesus as your savior you are hidden in the shadow of the Almighty. Until we have His shadow over us, we are on our own. It's lonely without a true and trusted Friend walking with us and leading us along the way.

Happy first day of the week. I hope you come to "the hill" and visit often.

No comments:

Post a Comment