Friday, August 19, 2011

Late Summer Reflections

It is mid August and the air is hot and breezy. As we sat, sipping coffee on the porch, we listened to the call of the locusts and wondered whether it was due to size or species, that their tones were so varied. Monarchs flitted by; arial artists on the wind. First upside down, then sideways; stopping on the goldenrod which is in full bloom now. Their red clover has passed by and only brown heads remain. They will be missed as the pinks lent their color to fields which will be covered with only golds and browns soon. I almost hate to think of this as late-summer but one must look reality in the face and see that even the maples are beginning to tell us so.

Autumn is truly my favorite time of year, but the passing of Summer is still a sad thing. It is like when someone dies. This particular Summer will never return again but will be buried beneath the leaves and eventually a heavy blanket of white snow. Yes, a new one will spring up, as beautiful as this one was but we will all be a year older; so perhaps we should say, a year wiser, to enjoy it even more!

We walk down the long drive and see the blackberries growing in the tangle of shrubs and brush. They are certainly huge this year. As I enjoy the sweet, juicy fruit I thank the Lord for making such a wonderful treat; and all wrapped up in a clean, edible package!

When we neared my brother's cabin, Mom and I parted ways. Ruger went on his coveted walk with "Grammy" while Coco and I continued on down the hill to start supper and pick a few things from the garden. Coco is just too little to keep track of and, anyway, Ruger loves his alone-time with Mom.

I expect we have a beautiful late-Summer evening to look forward to. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for taking part in our afternoon here on the hill.

3 comments:

  1. Hello I was wondering how much longer you are dogsitting for??I was thinking her owners were coming back yesterday.
    I keep thinking that I cannot believe another summer has flown by.I do lOVE fall although last night as I lay in bed I thought soon we will be getting up every couple hours to stoke the fire and I always dread that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I was getting into my car at 5:15 this a.m. up at Mom's and thought, shortly I'll be scraping snow and ice off the windshield - AAARRRGH! I do love Winter too, but love the other months more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fall is my absolute favorite season and I look forward to it ... but oh, this summer seems to have flown by too quickly!!

    ReplyDelete