Thursday, August 18, 2011

Troubles Without

Though it appeared that all was quiet on the hill at 6:00 this morning, something troubling obviously lurked outside. Ruger became very edgy; barking and pacing in the driveway. I tend not to let him carry on and bark too much in the yard, especially at this hour, so I let him in where he continued the behavior; pacing to the door and up onto the stair landing, which acts as his perch while he watches through the window for any outdoor activity. I could see nothing; nothing in the yard; nothing in the field above; nothing in the hedgerow across the road; but there was something out there. When I got him through the full-bark stage, he was told to lay down and there he continued to grunt, half-bark, groan and quietly "woof". He's a great watchdog and I am thankful that this scene does not happen very often.

Little Coco is visiting this week and had never heard Ruger bark in the house. She decided that tight to my lap was the safest place to be, and that's the position she assumed.

It is hard to concentrate on reading anything when you are constantly reminding someone to, "shhh", "lie down" and "okay, that's enough". I am studying from John 15 about Abiding in Christ. This study has been so good. Small phrases and words that I needed refreshing on, or had not seen before keep popping up; "clean through the Word", "and I in you", "my words abide". The Bible is truly a Living book. We can never come to the end of what God can teach us through it. I love to talk to elderly saints who are still learning and growing through God's Word.

The episode with the dog this morning made me think of some of the verses in the epistles. In II Corinthians, Paul related that when they were come into Macedonia they had no rest. It said, "we were troubled on every side; without were fightings, within were fears. Nevertheless God, that comforteth those that are cast down comforted us..." In Galatians, Paul writes that "there be some that trouble you and would pervert the gospel of Christ." In chapter five he refers to one who troubled the believers, that he would "bear his judgement".

There will be those things or people who will trouble us from without and perhaps even cause fears to arise within. Whether this person or circumstance is troubling us physically or spiritually, we have a God who comforts us!

It's 7:22 and the trouble on the hill seems to have passed. Only an occasional half grunt is heard now. No doubt, later today I will hear from a neighbor that a bear was out on their back lawn or a coyote was in the other neighbor's yard eyeing her chickens. The last two times that Ruger acted this way these were the causes. Coco has moved back to her spot, nestled into the blankets on the couch. All is quiet here again.

Now may be just the time to be able to concentrate on reading again. I hope you have a quiet morning, wherever you are.

2 comments:

  1. Coco looks so content there sleeping away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She can fall asleep at the drop of a hat! and hated those 5:00 mornings. She's happy to be at her home now, I'm sure. She would have to get up with me at Mom's, go down to our house where I would get Syd's lunch together (while she went back to sleep, soundly on the couch), I'd sit and read for a while then get ready for work - at which time she'd have to get up AGAIN to go to the PO with me! she was quite exasperated at not getting her beauty sleep, I think!

    ReplyDelete