Friday, October 7, 2011

Gardening and Strolling

It's a perfect Fall day on Darling Hill.  There were projects awaiting me that have been hanging around for quite some time, set aside for a day just like this!  Our friends, Dennis & Dottie, brought me some nice sunflower heads that are FULL of seed.  I hung them on the little trellises that I have in the garden.
The tomatoes were more than ready to be uprooted and cages to fold and put away till next year.  Many green tomatoes were given to my niece, Anna, who is looking forward to trying "fried green tomatoes" and the rest are ripening on my kitchen windowsill.

I just couldn't bear to take out all the squash plants yet though.  I'd picked most all of them the other day because we've had 32 degrees for two nights.  Evidently the squash plant likes the cold.  This picture shows the beautiful buds opening up to enjoy the warm, sunny day as much as I.  It was a choice of either ripping them up from the roots or death by freezing within the next couple nights; I chose the latter.  They just looked way too happy to pull up yet!
Ruger and I went to Mom's, as he was chomping at the bit for a walk with her!  We took a long walk down the entire lane and back.  When we returned to our house, Mom helped us with a little yard work.  I attempted to plant the hydrangea plant our friends brought, but broke the shovel in the process.   We stopped and had coffee instead!  ~sat outside, of course.

The sky today was indescribably blue; though I just described it, I guess.  As we sat and sipped, we talked about the breeze that blew through the maple leaves above;  Discussed why the birdhouse was not inhabited this year.  I told her the story about the little fellow who sits in the corner of the garden (see him in the first picture?).  Mom made mention several times how much she loves his little smiling face.  There is a wonderful story behind him.  I'll tell you one day.

As we were walking Mom home I stopped to take a picture of these tree cousins.  They will be the subject of a future poem.  I have noticed them often and love seeing the white and yellow birch who have grown up together.  Ruger chased squirrels and tried his hardest to get into a two-inch hole in the butternut tree, into which his query had just disappeared.  As hard as he scratched and bit, he just couldn't squeeze in!
It's time to start a little supper, as I believe I hear my hubby's truck pulling up.  We are looking forward to more perfect days over the weekend.  It's the most beautiful time of the year!  Take care, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment