Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Mom to Remember

I just called Mom and she said that she and Ruger were just "chattering" about his dog treats.  Evidently he wanted a few more than Grammy was handing out.  We are so blessed to have Mom. She is a joy and finds joy in her Lord and in everyday life. 

Growing up, we spent many hours on walks, especially in the woods.  We seldom left the house without a baggie or some container with which to deposit our "finds".  Almost every woods walk ended with the wildflower book open, identifying an unknown specimin.  To this day, you will often see one or the other of us carrying a small sprig of flowered greenery in the back door.  Though the house has changed, that same wildflower book is on the same bookshelf that it's rested on for all these years.

I was always thankful that Mom taught me kindergarten.  When I started the first grade I was already reading fluently, while some of my classmates were just learning to sound out words.  This is not to boast, but I would not have traded that year for a classroom surrounded by many peers.  During our lunchtime we would pack a picnic basket and take it up to Connif's field or even just up on the back lawn.  Sometimes we would simply open a can of Vienna sausages (we could only eat these when Dad was at work, therefore it was like our little secret - he could not stand even the SMELL of them!) and eat them on the porch swing (yes, the SAME porchswing) while we watched the cars go by. 

Seldom did a day pass (remembering back on my entire childhood prior to starting school) that we did not meet one or another neighbor for a walk.  It was so routine that I grew up thinking that it was a daily requirement!  Anyone who knows Mom, knows that for her, it still IS! 


Which brings us back to she and Ruger.  I left them as they were heading out for their walk in the woods.  "He always helps me clean up the sticks", she'll say.  I can imagine he takes many more sticks OFF the pile than he ever would chance to put on, but they're together, and that's what counts.
I hope you all have a fine Fall day.  The forecaster promised us sun by the afternoon.  We'll take what the Lord sends!

2 comments:

  1. I had to laugh about the Vienna sausages.Some of our kids enjoy the little treats once in awhile but not if Obadiah is near.He cannot tolerate the smell of them either.:)I just thought that was neat.
    I can "hear"your mom shatting with Ruger and it makes me smile just thinking about it.It is hard to imagine days at church before her now.We all love Grammie R!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we all LOVE Grammy R! She is a precious treasure that we have been very blessed to know these few short years.
    You can not help but smile and praise the Lord when you think of her.
    I treasure the times she has stopped by and brought refreshment as she speaks of the Lord and His goodness. Thank you for sharing her with us :)
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete