Tuesday, December 20, 2011

All things Done According to God-conciousness

The end of year is such a rush! The post office keeps me very busy during the package and card season. I'm getting plenty of hours and feel like I'm running my feet off sometimes. Early mornings and fast-paced days just fly by and I find that I have not posted on the blog for quite some time! I am sorry about that. Though I've been trying to keep up on the few blogs I follow, even those have mounted up on me!

As we head into the Christmas weekend we do it with mixed feelings. I truly do LOVE this time of year, having had very fond memories of Christmas as a child and through these blessed married years also. I speak of this season carefully, however, as we have so many DEAR friends who do not celebrate Christmas (and for valid reasons, we do admit).  I recently watched a PBS special on the traditions of Christmas throughout the world. There is a piece of me that really rebels that we have been told (unfortunately by a "heiarchy") when and how we are to celebrate the season that is supposed to represent the birth of our dear Savior, Jesus Christ.  Being quite sure that Jesus was not born in the month of December, and acknowledging that nowhere in the Bible does it tell us to celebrate Christ's birth at all, I still have no problem picking this month to (though quietly and without sounding a trumpet) publicly show forth his advent to the earth.

We went through a period when we truly did not KNOW how we felt about the "tradition of Christmas".  I have come to realize that, if truth be told, I believe that most people would admit that it is a "warm and fuzzy" time of year to them. Perhaps it is not that way to you, but it is to me and I've heard many people express it that way. I refuse to say, "happy holidays", but ALWAYS choose to express, "Merry Christmas" because I do believe that if ANYTHING should be celebrated, it at least should be the coming of our Savior to earth. After all, God did choose to eternally record the angels proclamation of the glorious message to shepherds in nearby fields and Kings came to the house (some time later) and presented royal gifts to the Christ-child. This wonderful event did not happen without glorious recognition.

It is a difficult thing to write about because there are so many readers of this post who do not agree to celebrate Christmas at all and I understand where they are coming from. Many are from heavily-steeped religious backgrounds and are truly offended by even the mention of their once, high-church, telling them that they must "worship" this season. Having not come from a "religious" background myself (as I was just a heathen before coming to Jesus Christ), I did not know the stronghold that a religion could have on a person. We celebrated Christmas simply and it was a family-oriented, love filled time where we really did acknowledge Jesus Christ being born to the earth. I have to say that for me, I am not offended by that.  Lest anyone think otherwise, we have read up on the pagan beginnings of most of the traditions. We actually don't put up a tree anymore, for that reason. We also know what the American tradition has become, WAY too commercialized, etc. I guess that we have decided to celebrate it simply for what it is truly supposed to express to the world. At the same time, I am thankful for a church that does not "throw it in others faces" - thereby forcing individuals to celebrate something that offends them.  There is little to no mention of Christmas at our place of worship, and we are glad of that. What a blessing that we do not have to offend our brother by our "meat", as in Romans 14:17-23. This passage is a blessed teaching on following God according to conscience!

Please know that we respect christians who DO celebrate and those who DON'T celebrate during this time of year. Whatever we do, may it be done according to..."happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth." (Rom 14:22)



3 comments:

  1. Mrs.V,
    We thought this post was very well written.Especially with some of the conclusions we have come to.Thanks for making some things clearer to us.You have a way of words that is so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mrs. V,
    We so appreciated your post and we were also so happy to find out that there are other local Christians who believe in celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. On the other hand, we can definitely relate to your thoughts on the fact that the world so commercializes this holiday and seems to turn it into a shopping frenzy.
    I think it really depends on a persons's heart...if they are given to materialism and tend to forget why we have Christmas in the first place, then they had better be careful...but if one can keep their focus worshipful, it can be a profitable time.
    Anyway, I appreciated your thoughts on this sometimes touchy subject. May God bless you as you continue to seek His will.
    Love in Christ,Hannah H

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cyndy, I enjoyed reading your thoughts on celebrating Christmas...Christ's birth on earth.
    I've often pondered the 'meaning' of traditions we keep at this time. We have decided to keep a few but not necessarily with the usual meanings of the traditions. Like the tree. Years ago I wrote a poem for my Sunday School class on" What a Christmas Tree means to Me"
    I kept some ideas and added my own new ones or maybe they weren't so new! Evergreen,Stars, angels, light, bells etc. all there because they point to our Savior in some way. Still have the poem in Vt somewhere! Love, Dottie

    ReplyDelete