Friday, December 9, 2011

Different Sides of the Hill

This large maple tree still stands in the back yard of Grammy and Grandpa's house. The house is now inhabited by new owners, but I pass this tree alongside the road every day on my way from and to home.  I love this contemplative picture of my mother as a teenager. It would be two years yet before she married my father. I wonder what she was dreaming about on this day.


At the same time there was a young man growing up just over the hill, in the neighboring town of Strafford. As soon as he finished high school he followed the call to serve his country.  Here he is pictured in Paris, France. It would be only two years before he meets this young lady from Vershire.  My own history began because they married in 1947.

As I look at these two pictures I like to imagine that they were thinking about one another, though they had not yet met.  Or perhaps they were contemplating that special "someone" whom they would meet in the not-so-distant-future.  The one with which they would spend the rest of their life on earth together.

As I was viewing these two photos this morning these are the things I was thinking about and just wanted to share it and would love to perhaps know your opinion on it too.

On your way up to Darling Hill you passed the spot where Mom was standing, just across the road from the barn.  When I first moved to Vershire I often cried as I passed "through the farmyard", remembering the many happy years spent there, when the road was still dirt and most of the traffic was a hay truck or tractor. During the winter, Grandpa would take me way up by the West field where we would get on the "travis" (a long runner-sled) and slide down the road, past the barn and (hopefully) stop at the main road. That was so much fun! 

Having spent over 12 years here now, only an occasional tear comes to my eye. I do wonder, however, the amount of memories my mother sorts through as she travels between her childhood house and the barn several times a week.

Grandpa, Grammy and Dad are gone on to heaven now and we are left alone to go through the old memories and these snapshots in our mind. That is what I am doing today and I'm thankful for the precious childhood God has given me and for these two people who made a most wonderful impact on  my life.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mrs. V,

    I was reading in magazine view (I think) and was not able to comment. I can comment in the classic view. I wondered how I missed your post about your parents, until I got your e-mail. I love reading about your Mom and Dad! Your Mom is always such a blessing when she comes to Bible study. Lord willing we will see you next year :) ... it is WARM here right now 39 with a possible of low 40's. Hope you are having a good week.

    ReplyDelete