Thursday, August 30, 2012

Confidence in God's Constancy

           "And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me."  Matthew 11:6

I have asked myself this week, How is my confidence in God and the Lord Jesus Christ? I had shared with you a whole week ago now, that these have been busy days. It is amazing, the influence which over-activity has on one's mind. Things spin so fast in the brain that it is hard to think on spiritual things enough to put them into words. I asked the Lord this morning to help my brain to have the ability to meditate on His Word, even when outer circumstances pull and press. The verse, "Be still and know that I am God," comes to mind; which, I suppose means purely stillness of the soul. Today I determined to put a few thoughts into a post. I do hope that they're not too scattered to be understood. 

These most recent quiet times with the Lord have been precious; those hours and minutes that come before the day really begins. Today I read about the raising of Lazarus. Jesus said, "Said I not unto thee, that if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?" Sometimes I notice that when I'm "on the mount" (spiritually and/or circumstantially) it is easy to believe that the Lord can provide and answer prayer, but is it as easy to believe Him and have confidence in the Lord (not be offended in Him) down in the valley, when life seems a little out of control, or when my feathers get ruffled? These are the very times when I should be still (at least on the inside) and know that He is God, and is going to be the same as He was yesterday, ten years ago and through eternity! I read a quote, "Faith must be tested, because it can be turned into a personal possession only through conflict...Faith is unutterable trust in God, trust which never dreams that He will not stand by us." 

The Holy Spirit intercedes for us when we do not know what to pray for. At prayer meeting last night I prayed that we Christians would 'be hard on ourselves'. After praying it I realized that this is exactly what I need to do. In the light of God's great holiness I must bring myself up against sin all the time. What confidence in the Lord this takes; no confidence in the flesh, but only in the power of the Lord. If I am not offended in Christ, I will be always offended by sins and weights that come along to beset me.

Today it seems that the Lord is reminding me that if I am to see His glory, I must not draw back, but 'believe', take a hard look at sin and forsake it and I must not be offended in Him but have confidence in His constancy. Those of us who are believers in the Lord Jesus Christ serve a God who will never leave us or forsake us. He is personal and wants this close abiding relationship with us, His branches. We are truly blessed!

Be still

Look to God, in prayer

Read and meditate in His Word

Trust
(P.S. this picture is not mine. I found it on the web)

1 comment:

  1. I just absolutely needed this spiritual encouragement today. Praise God for the pressing He marked on your mind to write, not scattered at all, but touch heart strings even in me with regards to my trust toward Him. Even in the midst of adversity, trial, testing, whatever come our way, we can be confident of this one thing as you wrote, He will never leave us nor forsake us. The problem is we wander.
    I must daily be transformed by the renewing of my mind. I love the quietness of the early morning in my home. Long before anybody stirs, which some think is an absurdity (3:30 a.m.) sometimes, I get up to hear His voice.
    I don't want to think my thoughts. I want His. I cannot be triumphant in this life if I am going to lean to my own understanding, so I must have that time, I must Be Still and know that He is God!
    Thank you for sharing your heart.

    I have been blessed.

    ReplyDelete