Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Thoughts on Thoughts

Having just come from a busy two weeks, I've now had some time to reflect on the wonderful way God has lead through them.  Before (and even since) knowing the Lord Jesus Christ, my "rights" used to crop up alot, did yours? I remember the very message that the Lord used, at a Bible Conference in Bucksport, Maine, to speak to my heart about the fact that all my personal "rights" must be given over to the Savior who has bought me with the price of His own blood. Does that mean I gave them up immediately? no - that was over 25 years ago and they've cropped up many a time since!

Two weeks ago I was contemplating being "called upon" to do a certain task in my workplace, the USPS. I thought, "surely there are PLENTY of people who could do this particular job...or, perhaps I could split the six days up with someone." When I got a phone call from our POOM (people don't relish those calls), informing me that he really needed me to go to this particular place, it was like standing in front of the principal at school! What could I say? On the one hand I would not hesitate to help out this particular postmaster, as she had been through a family tragedy; on the other, "the office is SO far away - and I won't be able to get home to let the dogs out at lunchtime, won't be able to go see how Mom is doing in the middle of the day"; I really wanted to have at least ONE day off this coming week; my bookkeeping job will suffer, etc. etc. What it boiled down to is stubbornness and wanting my rights.

In a recent post I mentioned that I'd been reminded the other morning that my wrong feelings had been brought into check by using the facts of God's Word. This was one of those times. The verse from II Corinthians 10:5 was there to remind me, "Casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God; and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ." I really do believe that if my convictions and things that have been learned "on the mountaintop" are not put into practice down here in the valleys, where the "rubber meets the road", what good are all the lofty speeches? Have I learned the lessons or not?

Truly we know, we are ever learning the lessons. Sunday in church we read the verse from James 4:17, "to him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin." This is just one such case. Once I confessed my selfishness and willfullness to the Lord, the week was such a joy and blessing! Where the Lord wants us to be, whether in the home or even in an unfamiliar environment, is the greatest place!

Thanks for stopping by and reading a few thoughts on "thoughts"!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mrs. V,
    It was so good to see you all at church on Sunday. I just wanted to drop you a little note telling you "thank you" for being so sweet and welcoming to us, and thank you also for the inspiring post. I really emjoyed reading it.:)
    Love, Hannah H.

    ReplyDelete