Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Happenings Here!

I cannot believe it's been a couple weeks since I've posted anything from Darling Hill! We're still here. It has been a chilling 15 below zero (sometimes a bit colder) and today's 40 feels like a heatwave. The doggies were so happy to be out running around in our sticky snow today. Squirrels still hanging off Mom's feeder at lunchtime. She and Sarah said that there were four of them out there this morning. Sarah goes out with a stick and threatens them good. We watched the red polls flitting all over the feeder after the threatening beasts were gone - no, not Sarah. The red polls come in droves. I believe they must just make their rounds between all the neighbors. They'll be gone for a few hours, then return to feed. As I was getting ready to go back to work the birds returned, only to find the squirrel had come to devour more seed. The flock of birds just covered the ground. It is a yearly occurence, but one that thrills us anew each year. The white field, just speckled with little brown birdies!

Mom went through a period of having no phone. Something must have chewed it or water got into a junction (though Syd checked the breaks and dried them out) Thanks to my wonderful hubby, our GO-TO man, she's up and running again. This time we had to run her phone line above the snow though, until Spring when we can get it into place correctly. In two more weeks we will have 200+ snowshoers hiking over Darling Hill. Syd is debating unhooking the phone the night before, to avoid any accidental tripping or "clipping" of the wire. It will probably be best. Our town hosts a Snow-shoe-a-thon each year. It is a fundraiser that has become very popular. Hikers, from all over the surrounding area, travel through the woods below Darling Hill, then come out right on top (where they enjoy the beautiful view). From there they make their way through Mom's field, then the neighbors field and woods to the Mountain School. Sorry for the fuzzy pictures!



I'm sorry we've been a bit out of touch here these days. Life is flowing along. The Lord is answering prayer in so many ways, and in the area of Mom's life. Thanks, all of you who have prayed for her and have sent beautiful notes. She is doing better and just has an occasional down day (as we all do). I'm thankful that she turns to the Lord and His Word, which is a wonderful example to me, as well as to all who know her. I keep reminding her that the Lord is using her in the lives of everyone she touches. Thanks for remembering her still.

The other morning I was heading to work, camera on the seat beside me, when I saw a HUGE bird (thought it was an owl) in the tree over the dirt road. Here he is:

This turkey was way up above the road. Till he raised his head I did not know what kind of bird it was
This is what I saw at first. Doesn't he look like a huge owl?


I will say goodbye for now. I'm so glad you haven't given up on us here. Will try not to wait so long between posts next time! Thanks for visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment