Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Meditation List


As I listened to my Kitchen Sermon this morning, all about 'Sulking', the Lord laid on my heart to meditate on 2 Corinthians 4. What a portion of Scripture that is!

God used this verse from Hebrews in my heart this morning:


“Though He were a SON, yet LEARNED He obedience by the things which He suffered.” 
Hebrews 5:8

Many verses from the life of Jesus are on my 'meditation list'; verses like the one above. Jesus learned obedience from suffering. For me, being only a human being, how easy it is for me to become disobedient to the Scripture by sulking and becoming bitter in 'suffering' (mine often so petty!) or by not having things 'my way'.

Do I feel cheated when I don't get something that I think I deserve? a sobering thought...


Eve wanted the ONE THING that God said she could not have!


...we know where that got us!

As I thought on Hebrews 5:8 I was reminded of a verse written by Paul which I really don't understand and have not heard many sermons on:


“Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for His body’s sake, which is the church.” 
Colossians 1:24


This is certainly going to be added to the list! It seems obvious that a Christian's sufferings are important not only for the individual but for others in the church also. 

I hope that you have a time of meditating in the Scriptures today and every day. Soaking in the Word of God daily, even several times a day...what a wonderful God we have! I pray that now the Lord will give me opportunities to obediently put these daily meditations into practice.

These were some 'daily musings from the Hill'. Thanks for stopping by. 

2 comments:

  1. Thinking of what you said about Eve ... I was meditating on Genesis 3:6 last week. I'm very familiar with this verse and how the things that tempted Eve about the tree had to do with the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life. But as I looked at the verse again last week, something else jumped out at me. She went by *how things looked to her* rather than by *what God had said*! That was an eye-opener for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true that is. It's sad that we so often judge what we'll do in our Christian walk by our feelings rather than taking God at His Word. Thank you for that reminder. Recently I was faced with the reminder that I cannot pick and choose what I want to obey from the Bible - not if I am choosing to walk with God!

      Delete