Monday, January 19, 2015

A Well Rounded Breakfast

It's back to round bread. I never knew where my mother got the idea, but all my life I ate round bread. When we married, Syd and I bought juice in cans so that we could keep eating round bread. In one or two of our moves I misplaced or threw away my old juice can bread pans. For several years now we have been eating store-bought bread or home made that's made in bread pans, which spread out and just aren't compact enough for our liking.

A few weeks ago Syd came home with two cans of pineapple juice. We never drink the stuff, but soon I found out what he was up to! Now we're back to eating our compact and perfectly round bread. It makes for a nice sized sandwich and just works "all-'round"!! ha, ha!


Thanks to my friend, Sharon, I now have new canisters too. I've been looking around for canisters, as I have hated the big "urn" shaped ones I had because they're hard to reach way down into and had a very narrow neck. Sharon showed up at church with some pecan candies in one of these great jars from Wal-mart. They're a nice size, so Saturday I bought three...just right for sugar, white and wheat flours. Thanks for the idea, Sharon!

Thanks for stopping by the Hill today. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Simple bread recipe:   7 cups flour (I mix 2 parts whole wheat and 1 part white); 3 cups tepid water,
1 1/2 t. salt, mixed together with two packets yeast; allow yeast to dissolve in water and salt and pour all together into your mixer with dough hook, or just mix together -however you're accustomed to doing it. Knead for 4 minutes or so; set aside for an hour; knead again for 4-5 minutes and put into your greased juice cans (this recipe will use three and will likely rise slightly above the cans, perfect). Allow to rise in a non-drafty area. 450 degree oven for 30-35 minutes. Lay the cans on their sides for a few minutes then shake them out onto cooling rack. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Will have to try your recipe :). I almost think my Mom used to make bread in cans ...will have to ask her. Like your canisters :).Hope you all are not too iced in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought salt killed the yeast bacteria. It was good to see Syd on Saturday. Allan was our "milkman" and we got to know him well over the few years we've known him. He knew the Lord and that's the best part of all this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. V,
    I know Josh did eat bread out of a can growing up but it was the store bought kind. We will have to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing. ;) Guess we will have to buy some juice. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How well I remember baking bread in those juice cans! I actually still have mine at home in P'ville. I will revive this 'lost idea' here and soon!
    Have been really busy and need to get back to reading and writing blogs. Catching up on yours this cool and windy afternoon. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete