Thursday, August 11, 2011

Thoughts with my Popcorn

Why is it, when you make pocorn, you must eat the whole bag? At least I do. Don't I think that it will taste good a little later? I'll admit, it's not very good the next day, as it coats my tongue with lard. I do so enjoy those little half-popped kernels at the bottom of the bag and I like cracking them open between my teeth! It doesn't take alot to make me happy. Someone called me "high-maintenance" once and my husband and brother in law laughed out loud!

Lord willing, Syd is renting a backhoe this weekend and will start digging our well. I told him a few weeks ago that I didn't think I could handle things being any better in my life, as I couldn't get any happier. I must admit, running water will greatly add to my present bliss. Don't get me wrong, I go through times when I'm downright unhappy to heat that water and do a mound of dishes. My answer? "Don't let the dishes mount up so much!" I talk to myself alot and often scold when I'm in this frame of mind. This may be why the Lord never gave me children (I speak in jest) because I am not very sympathetic. "So what if you fell down, jump up and brush yourself off!" My mother used to say, "PRESS on it!" about our bruises and bleeding wounds. She was a GREAT Mom! and still is! I think I get my practicality from her.

Recently I found myself in the midst of being misunderstood again. Often when we are with people who know us pretty well we can still feel like we're lost and don't fit in. It was after one of these times that I found myself asking the Lord, "what is wrong with me? How do I make others feel, really?" Unfortunately we can't step out of ourselves and see who and how we REALLY are with others. In reading the Scriptures that particular day I was reminded that the Lord knows ALL about me, as it says in Psalm chapter 139. I cannot hide anything from Him and He sees me from the inside and knows even my motives. It is such a comfort to remember this. The Lord has got me figured out! even though I don't. He knew me before I was conceived, therefore didn't have to "figure", of course. It is a comfort to remember that He is forming my character and conforming me to His image, though I don't always see progress.

The Lord continues to use I Corinthians chapter 13 to remind me of what true love is and how I need to view and treat others, whether fellow-believers or people I have little in common with. With all our little "quirks" we live among and relate to one another on this earthly plain. Every so often I like to take each phrase of I Cor. 13 and say, "Do I love like that? Do I love without thinking evil? without being easily provoked? Do I bear, hope, believe and endure all things?" etc.

I am at the end of my popcorn bag now and have just finished cracking open that half-popped kernel. It's time to go into the evening, this time, thankfully, to just a few dishes that I could not get to this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment